Get your soup on with this potato perfection!
Cream of Potato Soup might sound like an indulgence that you would never see on a healthy eating plan. But this healthy spin on the classic favorite is healthy and low in fat and calories, while still having that delicious thick and creamy quality.
Slow Cooker - Cream of Potato Soup
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup white onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 cups red potatoes with peeling cubed, scrubbed, and rinsed
- 2 cups + 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 2 cups vegetable broth low sodium or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon rosemary fresh, snipped, optional 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper use more if desired
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes optional, use if you like some heat in your soup
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Add oil to a small skillet and sauté onion on medium-low heat until tender, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and continue sauteing 1 additional minute. Add to slow cooker sauteed onion and garlic, 2 cups milk, the vegetable or chicken broth, rosemary, salt, black pepper, paprika and crushed red pepper flakes (if using), stir to combine. Add potatoes, cover and cook on low heat 6 to 8 hours.
- About 15 minutes before the end of cooking time, combine 2 tablespoons cornstarch with 2 tablespoons milk and stir until smooth. Add cornstarch and milk mixture to the slow cooker, stir to combine. Cover and allow the sauce to continue cooking until thickened, about 10-15 minutes.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms…
Be sure to subscribe to our daily eNewsletter. Also, like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from Skinny Ms., check out our Skinny Ms. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite Skinny Ms. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.