Cream of Potato Soup might sound like an indulgence that you would never see on a healthy eating plan. But this healthy spin on the classic favorite is healthy and low in fat and calories, while still having that delicious thick and creamy quality.
Serving size: 1 cup | Calories: 246 | Total Fat: 3 g | Saturated Fats: 1 g | Trans Fats: 0 g | Cholesterol: 4 mg | Sodium: 180 mg | Carbohydrates: 39 g | Dietary fiber: 2 g | Sugars: 5 g | Protein: 4 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 8
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup white onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups cubed red potatoes with peeling, scrubbed and rinsed
- 2 cups 2% milk, plus 2 tablespoons
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, snipped (optional 1 teaspoon dried rosemary)
- Salt, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (use more if desired)
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional, use if you like some heat in your soup)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Add oil to a small skillet and sauté onion on medium low heat until tender, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and continue sauteing 1 additional minute. Add to slow cooker sauteed onion and garlic, 2 cups milk, the vegetable or chicken broth, rosemary, salt, black pepper, paprika and crushed red pepper flakes (if using), stir to combine. Add potatoes, cover and cook on low heat 6 to 8 hours.
- About 15 minutes before the end of cooking time, combine 2 tablespoons cornstarch with 2 tablespoons milk and stir until smooth. Add cornstarch and milk mixture to the slow cooker, stir to combine. Cover and allow sauce to continue cooking until thickened, about 10-15 minutes.
- Recommend using 4-6 quart slow cooker.
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms…
Be sure to subscribe to our newsletter. Also, like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.