Lemons have tons of health benefits, making them the perfect addition to our Slow Cooker Greek Lemon Chicken Soup. We’ve loaded it with vegetables to increase the nutrient profile and used egg yolks as a high protein thickener. This soup gets its amazing flavors from slow cooking the chicken, vegetables, and lemon zest in a slow cooker on low for hours. Lemon adds a pop of bright flavor, while brown rice rounds out this filling soup.
Serve this lemon chicken soup on cold nights or just when you want to harness the immune-boosting benefits of the nutritious ingredients in it. It would be wonderful with warm bread or even Clean Eating Grilled Cheese for an ultimate comfort food meal.
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1 1/2 cup | Calories: 243 | Total Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 106mg | Sodium: 481mg | Carbohydrates: 23g | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Protein: 27g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 6
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 leek, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 1 large lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 chicken boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- Chopped dill, for garnish
- Add broth, garlic, leek, carrots, onion, lemon zest, chicken, salt and pepper into slow cooker. Cook on low for 5 to 6 hours or high for 2 to 3 hours.
- Mix together the lemon juice and egg yolks until frothy. Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred. Add lemon juice and egg mixture in and whisk into the soup -- this should make it thicker and creamier! Then add the shredded chicken and brown rice, stir and serve with chopped dill on top!
Other SkinnyMs. recipes you might like:
Tell us any recipes you want us to add to SkinnyMs. in the comments section below! What soups are you excited to make for this fall and winter?