There are few things in life more satisfying than a big bowl of hearty New Orleans style gumbo. Our SkinnyMs. Slow Cooker Gumbo harnesses all of the fantastic flavors and textures of a traditional gumbo into a skinnier version that’s thrown together in a slow cooker. We’ve used a mix of chicken, turkey sausage and all the typical gumbo veggies—onion, celery, peppers, and okra. If you don’t care for okra, no worries—just add extra celery, peppers, and onion.
Just combine all of your ingredients in a slow cooker in the morning and let the magic happen all day while you’re away. Serve it up over brown rice with a side of crusty french bread and transport yourself to New Orleans any day of the week!
Yields: 6 cups | Serving Size: 1 cup | Calories: 230 | Total Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 100mg | Sodium: 543mg | Carbohydrates: 11g | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Protein: 34g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 4
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into thin strips
- 2 turkey andouille sausage links, sliced (optional: if you can’t find this type of turkey sausage link, look for some spicy turkey sausage)
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 cups frozen okra
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon mustard powder
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- Add all ingredients to the slow cooker. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hour, or high for 3 to 4 hours. Serve over brown rice.
You might also like:
What are your favorite things to eat in New Orleans? Let us know some recipes you’d like us to make in the comment section below!