Nothing warms you like a familiar childhood memory. Cooking traditional favorites and breathing in the scent of foods you remember from your childhood nourishes not just your body but your soul. That’s why we call dishes like this slow cooker beef stew true comfort food. When life’s fast pace wears you out, going back to an old favorite nurtures you in a variety of ways.
Lucky for you, technology made some changes to old routines. While our grandmothers may have toiled over a hot stove, checking on their beef stew for hours, today we can leave that work to one of our favorite inventions, the slow cooker. Simply combine your ingredients in the slow cooker, and go about your day, running errands and catching up with family and friends until it’s time to take the lid off the dish.
The end result is a remarkably familiar flavor, and your entire house will be filled with the comforting aroma you remember from your youth. It’s a classic, tasting just the way Mom used to make it, but with far less fat and time spent in the kitchen. And made with whole, fresh ingredients, this is a beef stew recipe you can feel good about serving to your loved ones. Lean meat, whole vegetables, and extra-virgin olive oil make this a healthy and wholesome meal low-fat beef stew.
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup | Calories: 264 | Total Fat: 8 g | Saturated Fat: 2 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 42 mg | Sodium: 214 mg | Carbohydrates: 24 g | Dietary Fiber: 4 g | Sugars: 4 g | Protein: 18 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 7 |
- 1 pound lean beef stew meat, cubed in about 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons flour for coating the beef
- 1 cup red wine, (optional non-alcoholic wine or vegetable broth)
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup diced red peppers
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 sprigs of thyme, remove leaves from 4 sprigs
- 2 cups beef broth, fat-free and low-sodium
- 1 (14-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- Coat the beef with the flour then shake off the excess then sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
- Over medium heat, in a saucepan with extra-virgin olive oil, brown the floured beef then pour in the wine. Cook until sauce is slightly thickened and alcohol aroma is gone, about 5 minutes. Transfer the beef and its sauce to the crock pot.
- In the crock pot, add onion, garlic, potatoes, carrots, celery, red peppers, leaves from 4 thyme sprigs, bay leaves, broth, tomatoes, and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or high 4 - 6 hours. Garnish with remaining two thyme sprigs.
We have other Slow Cooker beef recipes than might interest you:
Make sure that you subscribe to our newsletter, so that you don’t miss out on all things SkinnyMs.