If you thought oatmeal couldn't get healthier, think again!
A breakfast you look forward to eating that actually makes you feel good? Check. Fills your home with the aroma of its nutty oatmeal goodness? Check. Some of us wolf down a breakfast sandwich from the cafe beside our office. Others subsist on coffee alone. Fix both conditions with this comforting, nutrient-dense, slow-cooker power recipe.
At SkinnyMs, we’re a BIG fan of anything low-maintenance, but we’re not into the rush-out-the-door-hungry approach. A quick Google search will reveal the sheer volume of contradictory research on the feast or fast debate. When it comes to hot breakfasts or busy mornings, let’s not make things complicated. The benefits of regular morning movement and exercise to get your brain going are important. But, if you’re going to do all that work, your body needs calories.
Slow Cooker Oatmeal for the Win
What do we want? Oatmeal! When do we want it? Now! Yes, this is my daily mantra. This recipe (along with my second favorite, Peanut Butter Banana Overnight Oats) packs a nutrient-dense punch. It’s a healthy carbohydrate combination of blood sugar-stabilizing oatmeal and potassium-rich bananas.
Our Slow Cooker Nutty Blueberry Banana Oatmeal will give you something that tastes more like a crisp rather than a traditional oatmeal. That said, don’t let its sweet creaminess fool you. The blend of vitamin, mineral, and fat-rich nuts and seeds is certainly going to give you a daily dose of filling nutrition.
Prepare a batch of these slow cooker rolled oats and quite literally roll into your week. Because this oatmeal needs two to four hours of cooking time, an idle Sunday is the perfect time to make this dessert. Did I say dessert? I meant breakfast (although, it’s tasty enough for dessert).
This recipe keeps for days. In fact, it’s going to taste even better after it sits a while. Make a large batch to fuel you through all those early starts and bad news headlines. Monday morning is going to feel so much better.
Slow Cooker Nutty Blueberry Banana Oatmeal
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds toasted
- 1/4 cup pecans chopped
- 1/4 cup walnuts chopped
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 bananas sliced
- 1 cup blueberries fresh
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- vanilla yogurt for serving, optional
- Combine the oats, nuts, flax, spices, baking powder, and coconut sugar in a large bowl. Stir until combined. In a separate bowl, beat the milk, egg, maple syrup and vanilla extract.
- Layer the bananas and blueberries in your slow cooker pot. Spread evenly with the oats. Pour the milk mixture over top and drizzle with the butter.
- Cook on low heat for 2-4 hours, until liquid is absorbed and top is lightly browned.
- Serve warm, topped with the yogurt if desired.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Do you have a favorite grab-n-go breakfast? We’d love to hear about it in the comments below.