It can be easy to rush through breakfast each morning. Some of us wolf down a breakfast sandwich from the cafe next door to our office. Others subsist on coffee alone. And some go all the way until lunch with nothing to keep them energized. That can all change with this healthful, delicious, slow-cooked oatmeal. Prepare a batch of our Slow Cooker Nutty Blueberry Banana Oatmeal for Sunday brunch, and keep a batch around all week for a quick breakfast that’s bursting with flavor and nutrition!
Slow cooking rolled oats, along with the nuts and seeds this recipe calls for, will result in something that tastes a bit like a crisp rather than a traditional oatmeal. The oats, almonds, pecans, and walnuts, combined with a mixture of bananas and blueberries, will have you craving your daily morning dose of filling nutrition. Since this oatmeal only needs to be cooked for two to four hours, you don’t have to wait all day for results, and your house will be filled with the wholesome scent of its delicious ingredients. And because it keeps so easily, your weekday breakfasts will be just as tasty as the first bite out of the slow cooker.
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup | Calories: 346 | Total Fat: 15 g | Saturated Fat: 4 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 39 mg | Sodium: 145 mg | Carbohydrates: 45 g | Dietary Fiber: 7 g | Sugars: 17g | Protein: 11 g | SmartPoints: 13 |
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Vanilla yogurt, for serving, optional
- Combine the oats, nuts, flax, spices, baking powder, and coconut sugar in a large bowl. Stir until combined. In a separate bowl, beat the milk, egg, maple syrup and vanilla extract.
- Layer the bananas and blueberries in your slow cooker pot. Spread evenly with the oats. Pour the milk mixture over top and drizzle with the butter.
- Cook on low heat for 2-4 hours, until liquid is absorbed and top is lightly browned.
- Serve warm, topped with the yogurt if desired.