There’s nothing like adding fresh mushrooms to your table! Try these stuffed mushrooms for a classic, traditional Italian start to any meal. Healthy mushroom dishes are an excellent way to get vitamins and nutrients into a meal without feeling as if you are eating nothing but “rabbit food.” These stuffed mushrooms have a hearty, meaty taste, but are low in calories and packed with nutrition!
In addition to making a great appetizer, mushrooms also make a meat substitute. Ever tried a mushroom burger or made a pasta sauce heartier with mushrooms instead of beef? It cuts down on saturated fat and calories, plus is ups the nutrient content in any dish. We love mushrooms for just about every meal. They pair well with eggs in omelets, taste great on sandwiches and in veggie wraps, and are a great addition to dinner menus of all varieties.
Looking for delicious ways to work mushrooms into your weekly menu plans? Try this stroganoff recipe that is easy and delicious or swap portobello mushrooms for meat the next time you whip up your favorite burgers. You can also try these marinated mushrooms for your next party or family get together.
Calories: 146 | Servings: 6 | Serving size: 2 stuffed mushrooms | Total Fat: 9 g | Saturated Fats: 4 g | Trans Fats: 0 g | Cholesterol: 21 mg | Sodium: 215 mg | Carbohydrates: 10 g | Dietary fiber: 2 g | Sugars: 4 g | Protein: 8 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 4 |
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 baby Bella mushrooms (clean by rubbing with damp cloth, don't rinse)
- 1/2 cup diced sweet onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup finely diced sun-dried tomatoes, packaged in olive oil
- 2 cups baby spinach, torn into pieces
- 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs, we used whole wheat panko
- 1 (4 ounce) container feta cheese, low fat or fat free
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove stems from mushrooms and dice.
- In a medium skillet, add oil and heat to medium-low, saute onion, mushroom stems and sun-dried tomatoes until tender, about 4 minutes. Add minced garlic and continue to saute one additional minute. Add spinach and saute just until wilted. Remove from heat and add the feta cheese and breadcrumbs and only 3 tablespoons of parmesan, stir to combine.
- Stuff mushrooms with mixture, place on a cookie sheet, sprinkle with remaining tablespoon parmesan, and heat until cheese is melted, about 15 minutes. *Mushrooms are very hot coming out of the oven so be sure to cool a few minutes before serving. This appetizer is yummy warm or cold.
- Note: The mushrooms may release liquid, so when removing from the cookie sheet lightly dap with a paper towel before serving. Stuffed mushrooms are a perfect dinner party appetizer.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.