The best of both worlds.
Is your sweet tooth begging for attention? Just because you practice healthy eating doesn’t mean treating yourself is out of the question. What better way to enjoy a savory snack than with this Sweet and Salty Healthy Chocolate Covered Pretzels recipe? Each bite delivers a double punch of mouthwatering sweetness and scrumptious saltiness, guaranteed to please even the craziest of cravings.
Satisfy Your Sweet and Salty Cravings
You really can’t go wrong with this classic sweet-meets-salty combo. When the two crave-worthy tastes team up, well, an inexplicable magic happens. Sweet and salty are simply meant to be; each flavor enhances the other. What better recipe to demonstrate the dynamic duo than this Sweet and Salty Healthy Chocolate Covered Pretzels recipe?
Mouthwatering chocolaty goodness teams up with salty pretzels to give you the most drool-worthy snack ever. And the best part? Our recipe uses clean ingredients you don’t have to feel guilty about. So when you need your sweet and salty fix, look no further.
Three Clean and Easy Ingredients
This Skinny Ms. snack calls for just three simple ingredients: chocolate, pretzels, and sea salt. We use dark chocolate chips because they actually carry some surprising health benefits. Research claims that dark chocolate is actually one of the best sources of antioxidants available.
This can help fight free radicals, boost the immune system, and defend against disease and cancer. Meanwhile, dark chocolate is a great source of iron, magnesium, and zinc. Who would’ve thought?
Don’t feel bad about the occasional chocolate indulgence, especially if it’s dark chocolate! Check out Why You Should Eat Dark Chocolate to learn more and 3 Reasons Why It’s Okay to Love Dark Chocolate!
Our recipe also uses whole-wheat mini pretzels instead of regular pretzels. Inevitably, pretzels are a carb-rich, starchy snack. However, going for the whole-wheat alternative sneaks in more fiber and B vitamins, ultimately making the recipe more nutritious.
How To Make Healthy Chocolate Covered Pretzels!
Whipping these babies up is an absolute cinch. This clean-eating snack only requires a few painless steps. Simply follow the instructions to melt the chocolate in a double boiler or microwave. After it has reached a silky smooth consistency, drop your pretzels in the chocolate one handful at a time. Next, remove them one by one using a kitchen tong or fork and place them on wax paper.
Finally, finish these chocolate goodies with a sprinkle of sea salt. Allow them to harden in the fridge for at least an hour, and voila! Your irresistible, clean-eating, sweet, and salty healthy chocolate covered pretzels are ready for munchin’!
With only 3 ingredients and minimal prep, you’ll take your taste buds on a crunchy, chocolaty ride in no time!
Here at Skinny Ms., we have your snack cravings covered. For more waistline-friendly snack recipes, check out these 15 Healthy Snacks That Can Help You Lose Weight!
Sweet and Salty Healthy Chocolate Covered Pretzels Recipe
Sweet and Salty Chocolate Covered Pretzels
- 10 ounce dark chocolate chips bag (or substitute semisweet)
- 1 pound whole-wheat mini pretzels bag, unsalted
- 2 teaspoons sea salt flakes
- Line 2 baking sheets with wax paper.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler over medium heat on the stovetop.*
- *To make your own double boiler, put a metal or heat-proof glass bowl or pot over a pot of one-inch simmering water. Simmering water should not touch the pot or bowl that is on top.
- Stir constantly. Once melted, remove from heat. Alternatively, heat in a microwave-safe dish for 30-second intervals and remove each time to stir until melted. Ensure that no water gets into the chocolate, or it will seize.
- Remove the chocolate from heat.
- Drop pretzels into the melted chocolate a handful at a time. Remove one at a time with kitchen tongs or a fork, shaking off excess chocolate back into the bowl and placing the pretzel on the wax paper. Once each handful has been dipped in the chocolate and placed on the wax paper, sprinkle the pretzels with sea salt while they’re still hot.
- Working in batches, finish all of the pretzels. Place the baking sheet in the fridge for at least an hour for the chocolate to harden.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Healthy chocolate covered pretzels are a sweet and salty snack that will satisfy all of your cravings without the guilt of store-bought alternatives.
Enjoyed this post? Read more:
- 11 Clean Eating 10 Minute desserts
- 16 Nutritious Kid-Friendly Treats that are Parent-Approved
- Slow Cooker Cinnamon & Honey Nuts
- Snack Pretzel Stack
Have you made this healthy chocolate covered pretzels recipe? What clean desserts would you like to see featured on Skinny Ms.? Let us know!
Editor’s note: This post was originally published on December 14th, 2015.