Is your sweet tooth begging for attention? Just because you practice healthy eating doesn’t mean treating yourself is out of the question. What better way to enjoy a savory snack than with this Sweet and Salty Chocolate Covered Pretzels recipe? Each bite delivers a double punch of mouthwatering sweetness and scrumptious saltiness, guaranteed to please even the craziest of cravings.
Whole-wheat mini pretzels stand in as a healthier alternative to their overly processed white flour counterparts. Dark or semisweet chocolate delivers healthy antioxidants along with nutritious vitamins and minerals. Did we mention the snack is a snap to whip up? With only 3 ingredients and minimal prep, you’ll take your taste buds on a crunchy, chocolatey ride in no time!
Yields: 20 servings | Calories: 155 | Total Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 283mg | Carbohydrates: 27g | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 8g | Protein: 3g | SmartPoints: 6
- 1 (10 ounce) bag dark or semisweet chocolate chips (mini or regular are both fine)
- 1 (16 ounce) bag whole wheat mini pretzels, unsalted (if salted is only type available, use those, but do not garnish with sea salt)
- 2 teaspoons sea salt (flakes such as Maldon work well, but any type of sea salt will do)
- Line 2 baking sheets with wax paper.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler over medium heat on the stovetop.*
- *To make your own double boiler, put a metal or heat-proof glass bowl or pot over a pot of one-inch simmering water. Simmering water should not touch the pot or bowl that is on top.
- Stir constantly. Once melted, remove from heat. Alternatively, heat in microwave safe dish for 30-second intervals and remove each time to stir until melted. Ensure that no water gets into the chocolate or it will seize.
- Remove chocolate from heat.
- Drop pretzels into melted chocolate a handful at a time. Remove one at a time with kitchen tongs or a fork, shaking off excess chocolate back into the bowl and placing the pretzel on the wax paper. Once each handful has been dipped in the chocolate and placed on the wax paper, sprinkle with sea salt while still hot.
- Working in batches, finish all of the pretzels. Place the baking sheet in the fridge for at least an hour for chocolate to harden.
What clean desserts would you like to see featured on SkinnyMs.? Let us know!