Dig into this rich, mild, and nutty, low-carb side!
While I love traditionally prepared cabbage, it can take a long time. I also find it makes my house smell funny. I love it cooked in stir-fries and soups, however, it can be a little tedious at times. Then, one day I tried Sweet and Sour Roasted Cabbage. Oh, happy day! Over time, I adapted it to be healthier than the version I originally tried. This “skinny-fied” version can be found below!
Perfectly Prepared Sweet and Sour Roasted Cabbage
With a few steps, you can create perfectly roasted cabbage with very little effort. Roasting is perhaps the easiest way to prepare cabbage, and brings out a milder, nutty, almost buttery flavor that you wouldn’t otherwise notice.
First, make sure the cabbage is cut into even-sized pieces, or as close to it as possible. Then sprinkle with salt and toss until evenly distributed. When you add salt to cabbage, as with other greens, you not only season it, but you also draw the natural moisture out. By doing this, you break down the fibrous texture of the cabbage, and help tenderize it before roasting. Allow the salted cabbage to sit for about 5 minutes, then add the remaining ingredients before roasting.
Second, stir the cabbage every 10 minutes during the roasting process. By stirring at regular intervals, you allow for even browning and prevent the cabbage from burning. You want golden brown roasted cabbage, not charred, or you risk an unpleasant burnt flavor. Trust me, nobody wants that.
Third, and finally, make the perfectly balanced sweet and sour dressing to lightly coat everything. I prefer raw honey because it’s lower on the glycemic index and is a healthier sweetener than cane sugar.
You can enjoy this tasty cabbage dish with a variety of entrees. It pairs well with many different Asian-inspired meals. You can also serve it up with roast chicken, ribs, or pulled pork. It makes a great alternative to the usual slaw or potato salad, as well. Get creative and be sure to let us know how you use it, in the comment section below!
Sweet and Sour Roasted Cabbage
- 1 green cabbage head small, cored and sliced
- 1 red cabbage head small, cored and sliced
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 yellow onion small, halved lengthwise and sliced into thin half-moons
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper ground
Sweet and Sour Dressing
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey raw
Roast the Cabbage
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Toss salt with green and red cabbage and allow to sit 5 minutes.
- Add onions, olive oil and pepper. Incorporate well, and place in a single layer on 1-2 rimmed baking sheets.
- Roast for 20-30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes to ensure even browning. Remove when cabbage is softened and golden brown.
Make the Sweet and Sour Dressing
- While cabbage is roasting, whisk together dressing ingredients until completely incorporated.
- Pour over cabbage, stir until cabbage is evenly coated, and serve.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Want more recipes like this sent directly to your in-box? First, subscribe to our daily eNewsletter. Then, follow us on Instagram and Pinterest to not only get fantastic healthy recipes, but also to receive exercise tips, meal plans and much more!