Spending time in the sunshine can cause us to work up quite an appetite. After a long day at the beach or afternoon in the park, certain foods just sound amazing. These grilled tuna tacos with fresh mango salsa are one of them, and they can create the perfect ending to a fantastic summer day!
Warm weather brings about cravings for foods that are light, healthy, and refreshing. That’s why these tacos are the perfect option. The spiciness of the tuna pairs wonderfully with the light and fruity salsa, providing you with a nutritious recipe that the entire family is bound to love.
Healthy Grilled Ahi Tuna
You can pretty much use any protein as a base for tacos. We’ve really seen it all. Chicken and beef are the most popular, but you can also use pork, mahi-mahi, tofu, and of course, tuna! We chose tuna for this recipe because the mango salsa complements its taste and texture beautifully.
While the grill heats up, coat your tuna on all sides with olive oil and Cajun seasoning. When the grill is hot, you only need to cook the tuna on each side for about four minutes. You want the tuna to be pink and tender on the inside. Once you’re ready to prepare your tacos, slice your tuna into thin strips.
Health Benefits of Tuna
Tuna is one of the healthiest protein bases you can use, as it is extremely low in saturated fat and chock-full of lean protein. You can also find important nutrients like magnesium, potassium, and several B vitamins in tuna. Together, these vitamins help to maintain normal nerve and muscle function, support the immune system, reduce blood pressure, limit water retention, and help the bones to remain strong. Plus, it tastes incredible!
Fresh and Fruity Homemade Salsa
This yummy salsa only requires four simple ingredients, including mango, red onion, fresh cilantro, and salt. All you need to do is combine these ingredients in a bowl. When you’re ready to make your tacos, grab your tortillas, place a few slices of your tuna inside, and top it with salsa!
Grilled Tuna Tacos with Fresh Mango Pineapple Salsa
- 1 pound ahi tuna
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cajun seasoning
- 1 mango diced small
- 1/4 cup red onion diced small
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 6 inch flour tortillas (substitute corn tortillas for a gluten-free option)
- Preheat grill to medium heat. Drizzle the olive oil onto all sides of the tuna and season well with the cajun seasoning. Once the grill is hot, place the tuna onto the hot grate and sear well, about 4 minutes per side. The tuna should still be pink on the inside. Remove from grill and set aside.
- Combine remaining ingredients, except tortillas, in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Slice the tuna into thin strips. Fill each tortilla with the tuna and mango salsa.
What did you think of these Grilled Tuna Tacos? Are you planning to add them to your summer meal plan? If you do, be sure to let us know what you thought in the comment section!
If you enjoyed these tasty tacos, you may also want to try these delicious recipes:
- Spicy Breakfast Tacos
- Shrimp Taco Bowls
- Skinny Buffalo Chicken Tacos
- Gluten-Free Mango and Black Bean Tacos
- Authentic Everything Beef Tacos