We all struggle with occasional cravings for unhealthy food, don’t we? You may be under the impression that you have to totally avoid comfort foods, but that’s not always the case! We put a lot of effort into creating healthier versions of your favorite recipes. This delicious Turkey Basil Ragu is no different! The secret is choosing clean, fresh, and nutritious ingredients that offer a ton of flavor at a fraction of the calories.
A High-Protein, Italian-Inspired Dish
When compared with ground beef, ground turkey offers more protein and less fat. That makes it an excellent place to start when creating a skinny comfort food recipe.
The flavor begins with fresh garlic, yellow onion, carrots, and celery, which also make this dish hearty and filling. Once the turkey and veggies have been combined, kick up the flavor by adding in the Italian seasoning, marinara sauce, and chicken broth. From there, you just need to mix it up with cooked Penne pasta and some fresh basil, and this belly-warming Turkey Basil Ragu recipe is ready to enjoy! It’s super simple and incredibly tasty! The next time that you’re in the mood for Italian comfort food, remember this recipe! You’ll be so glad that you did!
Turkey Basil Ragu
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey breast
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1 large carrot diced small
- 2 stalks celery diced small
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 3 cups no sugar added marinara sauce
- 3 tablespoons chicken broth
- 1 pound whole wheat penne pasta cooked
- 1/3 cup fresh basil lightly chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet with high sides. Once hot, add the ground turkey. Cook, chopping in to small pieces, for about 8 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add the garlic, onion, carrot, and celery to the hot skillet. Cook, about 8 to 10 minutes, until the onions are translucent.
- Return the cooked turkey to the pan. Stir in the Italian seasoning, marinara, and chicken broth. Bring to a simmer and simmer for about 5 to 10 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Fold in the cooked penne and fresh basil. Serve.
We hope that our tasty and nutritious recipes can change the way that you look at healthy eating. Once you realize that you don’t need to sacrifice the foods and flavors that you love in order to lose weight, you’ll never go back to your old habits! If you enjoyed this Turkey Basil Ragu, we think you’ll also want to try these flavorful Italian dishes:
- “Melt in Your Mouth” Italian Baked Chicken
- Italian Spaghetti Squash Casserole
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Spaghetti with Homemade Turkey Sausage
- No-Bread Italian Sandwiches
- Italian Sausage and Tomato Pie
Stay up-to-date on all of our future recipes by following us on Pinterest and Facebook. Also, remember to subscribe to our daily eNewsletter to get the newest recipes delivered directly to your inbox!