By using low-fat ingredients and a colorful list of vegetables, our healthy sandwich provides plenty of nutrients and flavor!
You might be watching your food intake, but that doesn’t mean you have to miss out on sandwiches like this turkey panini with roasted vegetables. By using low-fat ingredients and a colorful list of vegetables, our healthy sandwich provides nutrients while tasting great. While everyone loves a sandwich, greasy burgers or sub sandwiches full of processed meat don’t add any nutritional value. Instead of indulging in that drive-through craving, take some time to make your own work of sandwich art.
Choose Deli Meat Wisely
To be fair, processed meat tastes great and is incredibly convenient. However, if you apply these health hacks, you can dig into a stacked sandwich with very little guilt.
For starters, don’t buy those pre-packaged plastic wrapped lunch meats from the refrigerated section next to the pre-packaged cheese. These sandwich meats are full of nitrates and sodium. Unfortunately, that’s one of the top hidden decisions that can seriously undermine weight loss. Instead, go to the deli and order the leanest meat you can find. Ask them to slice the amount you’ll need for the week. That way, you can indulge in convenience while still choosing a less processed, healthier variety.
Add Some Vegetables To That Sandwich
Adding veggies to any meal is always smart. Red bell peppers provide much-needed vitamins and minerals. Additionally, they are full of antioxidants, which help prevent cancer and other degenerative diseases. In my house, we put them under the broiler in the oven. In less than forty minutes, you can roast a sheet pan full of bell peppers.
By turning the peppers every ten minutes or so, you’ll get a wonderful char, giving a moist, earthy component to the peppers. On a sandwich, a roasted pepper adds divine intervention of a slightly sweet, earthy flavor. Married with the competing textures of bread, cheese, and meat, you’ll fall in love with this tasty tidbit.
Thinly Sliced Eggplant Cooks Up Quickly On A Grill-Pan
Typically, I roast eggplant on a sheet pan coated with oil. But when I want to make a healthy sandwich, I choose sliced eggplant and use a grill pan. The secret to cooking eggplant is to ensure there’s enough oil on it to create soft, pliable slices. Also, use medium heat to ensure even cooking. Dry heat or too-high heat will inevitably create a cardboard-like texture, so don’t be afraid of using more oil to make this component sing.
Use Fats That Are Low In Fat
A little secret to making a great grilled or pressed melty sandwich is to spread low-fat mayo on the outer bread pieces. It helps the outsides crisp up without added full fat found in butter. We also like to choose cheese that’s lower in fat, like Swiss or spreadable cream cheese. With all the other flavors you’ll get from the healthy turkey and roasted veggies, you won’t need a cheese that’s high in fat.
Ultimately, this turkey panini with vegetables doesn’t need any side dishes. Instead of making this a lunch-only option, serve this healthy yet sophisticated sandwich for dinner with guests. Better yet, friends coming over for brunch will love this wholesome treat. Cut sandwiches in four portions and serve with a variety of other food, like fresh fruit salad or crudites. Get the party started and make everyone happy!
Turkey Panini with Roasted Vegetables
- 4 bread slices whole grain
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 bell pepper roasted
- 4 ounces eggplant thinly cut into 4 slices and cooked in a pan
- 8 ounces turkey breast sliced thick (4 oz. per sandwich)
- 1/4 cup fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- Combine honey and mustard in a small bowl, set aside. Spread mayonnaise (or preferred fat) on one side of two pieces of the bread. Assemble two sides of a sandwiches with cheese, turkey, and veggies.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat for a minute or two, so it has time to heat fully. Place assembled sandwich slices bread the hot pan or quickly build your sandwich and top with un-buttered bread.If you have a panini pan, place the sandwich topped bread first and then top with the other slice. Slather the tops with mayo or butter and then cook according to manufacturer's direction.
- Top the sandwiches with a large cast iron pan and press firmly. Cook 2-3 minutes, butter the top pieces, spread honey mustard inside and then flip. Cook another 2-3 minutes.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Do you have a favorite sandwich recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Leave us a message in the comment area below.