This healthy twist on the classic meatball is one to add to your recipe book. By shining the spotlight on lean turkey instead of conventional sausage, this recipe slashes calories while retaining the tender juiciness you love. Our Turkey Sausage Balls use 100% clean and wholesome ingredients. Ultra nutritious seasonings like oregano and red pepper flakes give each bite a zesty kick.
This dish is a snap to whip up. It’s the perfect accompaniment to any spaghetti meal. It’s also delicious served solo as a holiday appetizer. With all the bold flavors rolled up in these protein-packed, impressive meatballs, this recipe is a surefire hit at your next dinner party!
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: about 4 meatballs | Calories: 233 | Total Fat: 16 g | Saturated Fat: 3 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 78 mg | Sodium: 281 mg | Carbohydrates: 1 g | Fiber: 0 g | Sugar: 0 g | Protein: 22 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 2
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel seeds, optional ground sage
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, more or less to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Combine all ingredients, besides the olive oil, together in a bowl. Form into small balls.
- Place one tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat and allow to heat (you will see it shimmering, but don't allow it to smoke).
- Working in batches, place sausage balls in the oil and cook until brown on the outside and cooked all the way through, for about 8 minutes. Place on paper towel lined plate. Cover to keep warm. Repeat with second batch, adding more oil, as necessary.
- Place on serving platter and insert toothpicks to serve. Turkey sausage balls are great served with marinara sauce or a clean eating sweet and sour sauce.
What recipes would you like to see featured on SkinnyMs.? Let us know! We love hearing from our readers.