Glazed chicken and vegetables, made easy in the slow cooker.
This Two Serving Healthy Honey Chicken and Vegetables has to be one of the easiest, tastiest recipes in our collection. As if lean-protein-packed chicken surrounded by sweet carrots, potatoes, and vibrant broccoli wasn’t enough: Everything gets glazed by a sweet and savory sauce as it cooks. Which, happens to be in the slow cooker, so it’s a completely hands-off cooking method. I don’t know about you, but that definitely sounds like something I’d like to whip up on a busy weeknight!
That glaze is really something to talk about. You won’t believe how much flavor you can get out of combining savory garlic and tomatoes with spicy ginger and red pepper flakes. Add in sweet honey and acidic balsamic vinegar and reduce it down into a glaze, and you’ll end up with a super good sauce! It tastes like the kind of thing you’d have to order from a restaurant, but you get to control the ingredients at home instead.
Get Your Beta Carotene
We’re really rooting for you to get your daily serving of beta-carotene with this dish. This redish-orangish pigment is found in–you guessed it–carrots and sweet potatoes. When you eat these foods, your body transforms the compound into vitamin A, which is essential for glowing skin and strong nails, along with a healthy immune system.
Beta carotene is also a powerful antioxidant, which can help prevent the formation of free radicals. That makes it important in the fight against cancer. Since broccoli is also high in vitamin C (another antioxidant), you’re essentially doubling down on strengthening your immune system.
So, you end up getting everything you need. Lean protein from the chicken, fiber and vitamins from the broccoli, and beta carotene from the carrots and sweet potatoes. All in a super tasty, sweet and savory honey glaze. Talk about the perfect combination of healthy and delicious!
The chicken and vegetables dish is perfect on its own, but you can always serve it over brown rice or quinoa if you want to turn it into a filling dinner. You could also whip up a side salad to go alongside the meal. This Apple and Endive Salad with Apple Cider Vinaigrette sounds just about perfect!
Two Serving Healthy Honey Chicken and Vegetables
- 1 boneless and skinless chicken breasts optional thighs (about 6 to 8 ounces)
- 1/2 cup baby carrots
- 1/2 cup sweet potatoes cubed, optional russet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons honey raw preferred
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup broccoli chopped
- Place the chicken, carrots, and sweet potatoes in a 2- or 3-quart slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the honey, balsamic, tomato paste, black pepper, salt, garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes. Pour the glaze over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours (or, 3 to 4 hours on high).
- Add the broccoli for the last 30 minutes of cooking.
- Serve the chicken and vegetables topped with 1/2 cup of the honey glaze.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
We love one-pot meals, especially those time-saving recipes made in the slow cooker or Instant Pot. Follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, or Instagram. Or, subscribe to our newsletterand we’ll send them right to your inbox!