Why buy strips of roasted peppers packed in oil-filled jars? You can achieve a fresh, delicious flavor in your own kitchen when you buy whole red bell peppers, and char and peel them using our simple technique.
These freshly roasted peppers top a generous smear of gooey goat cheese and sliced sweet onions, sandwiched between crisped slices of whole grain bakery bread. You don’t need to go to an Italian restaurant to get your favorite panini! Make this pressed sandwich at home from these few quality ingredients.
Sometimes it really is about life’s simple pleasures.
Not a fan of goat cheese? Our 3 Cheese Creamy Pasta Filling actually can be used as an out-of-this-world sandwich spread in place of the goat cheese.
Yields: 4 servings | Serving size: 1 Sandwich | Calories: 219 | Total Fat: 7 g | Saturated Fats: 2 g | Trans Fats: 0 g | Cholesterol: 7 mg | Sodium: 170 mg | Carbohydrates: 32 g | Dietary fiber: 4 g | Sugars: 7 g | Protein: 8 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 7
- 1 cup roasted red bell pepper strips, (optional 1 bell pepper roasted, see below)
- 4 sweet onion slices
- 4 tomato slices
- 4 tablespoon soft goat cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 (small slices) whole grain artisan bread
- Roasted Pepper Instructions
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- NOTE: I recommend roasting several peppers at once and using for other recipes. Try Homemade Tomato Paste which is delicious as a spread or in pasta dishes.
- Place whole bell peppers on a cookie sheet lined with foil. Turn peppers over every 10 minutes. Cook approximately 30 minutes or until skins are charred. Immediately place peppers in a large bowl and cover with foil to seal in the steam. After 45 minutes remove core, seeds, and peelings and discard.
- Slice peppers into 1" vertical strips.
- Brush oil evenly over one side of bread slices. Heat either a Panini press or nonstick skillet to 350 degrees or medium heat. Add to dry side of 4 slices of bread: roasted pepper strips, onion, tomato, goat cheese, thyme, and salt pepper. Place other slice of bread on top, oil side up.
- Heat Panini until bread is crispy and all the ingredients are hot.