by Skinny Ms.
You want to curb your appetite—but you want to do it in a healthy and natural way. Forget about crazy supplements that contain who-knows-what chemicals. Tap into the power of natural appetite suppressants to keep your diet on track. Here are 10 Foods to Curb Your Appetite:
1. Almonds– These nuts have been shown to increase satiety, or the feeling of fullness . Keep portion-sized packs of unsalted almonds in your bag for on-the-go snacking (12-14 almonds equals about 100 calories). They’re also a yummy and appetite-suppressing addition to trail mix and Greek yogurt. Learn more about how nuts can help you lose weight here.
2. Apple– An apple a day keeps the pounds away too! This fruit has plenty of fiber to give you a full feeling, but it also has pectin, a substance that prevents spikes in blood sugar. What’s more, raw apples require lots of chewing—and that extra time allows the body to recognize signs that its hunger has been satisfied. Result? You’re likely to consume fewer calories. Read about the health benefits of apples here.
3. Cayenne pepper– Suppress your appetite the spicy way with this pepper, which contains substances that may boost metabolism and lead you to eat fewer calories. Give cayenne a try with this Mexican Style Vegetarian Loaf.
4. Coffee– The caffeine in your morning cup provides a temporary metabolism boost as well as appetite suppression. Too much caffeine creates jittery feelings, however, so don’t overdo it.
5. Green tea– This liquid superfood has substances called catechins that may keep the blood sugar more stable—and that makes it less likely you’ll get a case of I’m-starving-itis. Indulge in this tasty Green Tea Kiwi-Berry Smoothie.
6. Oatmeal– This good-food standby delivers a concentrated dose of soluble fiber, which creates a feeling of fullness. Get your day going with these delish Oatmeal Blueberry Protein Pancakes.
7. Tofu– This soy-based food contains protein to fill you up and an isoflavone called genistein, which may suppress appetite. Haven’t tried this food yet? Don’t fear the tofu—enjoy it in a Blueberry Banana Smoothie.
8. Water– Curbing your appetite doesn’t come any easier than drinking good ol’ H2O. It’s inexpensive, easy to take with you, and prevents the stomach from feeling completely empty. Drink a glass of water before each meal to make it easier to stick to healthy portion sizes.
9. Soup– Broth-based soups are a smart way to knock back the appetite before a meal. Penn State researchers found that people who ate a bowl of broth soup before a meal consumed fewer calories than those served other appetizers . Try our version of this appetite-curbing dish with this Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice Soup with a Twist.
10. Greek yogurt– This variety has the whey strained out of it, creating a thicker texture that concentrates stomach-satisfying protein. Look for plain, fat-free Greek yogurt, and add healthy, natural toppings, such as blueberries or strawberries. Double-down on curbing your appetite by tossing a few almonds into the mix. Learn more about the health benefits of yogurt here.
Curb your appetite the healthy and natural way—start noshing on these appetite-suppressing foods so you can reach your weight loss goals.