Ommmm. Life needs balance. For every cause there is an effect, and for every action there is a reaction. The Universe works on balance and bringing harmony in order for everything to exist the way it does. For some reason, our lives tend to travel away from balance, and we end up in chaos. It’s time to take back control.
Yoga has been at the forefront for the past decade, but it has been ever-present for centuries. The benefits of yoga are numerous. Slow, controlled movements. Strong breaths that create focus and awareness of your body as a whole, as well as all of its individual parts. Increased flexibility. Upper and lower body strength. Decreasing blood pressure.
Sometimes you just need to take a break away from it all and refocus on you, your body, your emotions and your mind. Whether morning, afternoon or night, turn off all your electronics, grab your mat, and restore order and balance with these 15 poses.
15 Yoga Poses to Zen Out Your Body
Equipment needed: a yoga mat or a soft surface
What to do: These various poses are basic enough for all levels of yogis. Review the instructional videos to learn proper positioning for each pose. Try out the different poses and see which ones help open up your heart and mind. Whether you do them in a series or focus on individuals poses, the important thing is to be present in the now and reconnect with your body.
Take deep breaths in and out through the nose. Think belly breathing rather than chest breathing. If you find this challenging, you can breathe normally and build into belly breathing.
Calming Yoga Poses:
1. Chair Pose | Utkatasana – A strong pose for your thighs and butt. Hands up and salute the sky.
2. Tree Pose | Vrksasana – Make sure your foot is above your knee with this pose. Increase your balance, focus and concentration. Extend your limbs.
3. Triangle Pose | Trikonasana – Open up your hips and your chest with this pose. Opening your chest helps improve your breathing. Look up to the sky.
4. Half-Moon Pose | Ardha Chandasana – Another hip and chest opener with a little twist. Focus on your balance and strengthen your legs.
5. Extended Puppy Pose | Uttana Shishosana – A great pose to treat insomnia. Stretch your spine and lower back.
6. Downward Facing Dog | Adho Mukha Svanasana – A great way to strengthen and improve full body muscles. Calm and stimulate your body.
7. Crescent Lunge Pose | Anjaneyasa – Another salute to the sun. Naturally curve and counterbalance for days where you’re seated excessively. Re-balance.
8. Bow Pose | Dhanurasana Asana – A fun pose that connects your limbs. Rock around in this pose. Back and forth and left to right. Tighten your core to fully enjoy your movements and keep your body balanced.
9. Cobra Pose | Bhujangasana – This is a feel-good pose. Your chest opens up and you look up into the sky and pay tribute to the morning sun. Relieves tension and stress.
10. Upward Plank Pose | Purvottanasana – A relief for your lower back and a nice stretch for your core. Strong arms and strong breaths and a lengthening of your lower body.
11. Lotus Pose | Sukhasana – One of the basic meditation poses. The advanced version involves placing your feet upon your thighs. Work your way into it. Find your Zen in this perfect meditative pose.
12. Bound Angle Pose | Baddha Konasana – An amazing stretch for the hips and spine. Take deep breaths and on every exhale reach your forehead closer to your toes. Connect your body.
13. Child’s Pose | Balasana – The wider you spread your hips, the more of a stretch you feel. Push your forehead into the ground to create resistance. Bow down.
14. Happy Baby | Ananda Balasana – Envision yourself as a carefree infant. Wobble your feet around, and say something positive to yourself. Let go.
15. Corpse | Savasana – Melt into the floor and fall into a feeling of nothingness. Remove yourself from it all.
Half Moon Pose
Extended Puppy Pose
Downward Facing Dog
Crescent Lunge Pose
Upward Plank Pose
Bound Angle Pose
Happy Baby Pose
What did you think of our 15 Yoga Poses to Zen Out Your Body and Help You Relax? Let us know in the comment section! For more Zenspiration, check out:
- Getting Started with Yoga
- Yoga Workout for Weight Loss
- Evening Yoga for Relaxation
- 6 Yoga Poses to Lift and Tighten Your Butt