Basics: We’re sure by now you have heard of the most popular superfood of the year, quinoa (pronounced keen-wa)! Contrary to popular belief quinoa is actually a seed, with a ton of benefits for your waistline and wallet!
BONUS: Check out 6 of our most popular quinoa recipes below.
– Complete Protein
– Low in calories and fat
– Absorbs flavor perfectly
– Rich in Fiber, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Iron, and more
– Superfood packed with antioxidants
6 Steps to Perfect Quinoa:
1. Rinse. Always rinse quinoa before cooking to wash off the saponins to avoid a bitter quinoa. Rinse 1 cup of quinoa until the water is clear.
2. Season. Sprinkle 1 tsp. garlic powder, 1 tsp. cumin, 1 tsp. coriander, and ½ tsp. of cayenne pepper onto the rinsed and drained quinoa until well coated.
3. Pour. Take one cup of quinoa and a little less than two cups of water or vegetable broth and pour it into a pot.
4. Boil. Bring everything to a boil, then cover and let simmer for 15 minutes. Big important tip: Don’t open the lid!
5. Wait. If you’re impatient like me, this part is going to kill you! Once the 15 minutes have passed turn the stove off and without opening the lid let the quinoa sit for about 3-5 minutes.
6. Finally, open it up. Mmmm… The aroma of spices and beautifully cooked quinoa should fill up your kitchen. Do not use a spoon. I repeat do not use a spoon. Take a fork and lightly fluff the quinoa and enjoy!
Favorite Quinoa recipes on SkinnyMs.
Quinoa & Black Beans
Skinny Quinoa Skillet Supper
Quinoa Protein Bars – One of our most popular recipes.
Quinoa and Vegetable Stir-Fry – This Asian dish is a family favorite.
Quinoa Pilaf – A side dish that goes perfectly with fish or any other lean meat.
Quinoa Banana Berry Smoothie is protein rich and tastes…oh so yummy!
For more delicious quinoa recipes check out, The New Quinoa eBook ~ A Healthy Alternative to Traditional Recipes
6 Steps to Perfect Quinoa was written by Tara Milhem. Tara is an ambitious student in the process of building her brand to inspire people everywhere to live a healthier and more meaningful lifestyle. Tara is a Holistic Health Coach and will be a Registered Dietitian all before the age of 20. She has been studying the science and practice of nutrition for over 8 years and plans to continue to specialize in disease prevention and reversal, with a strong focus on weight loss and guidance.