Fried foods are irresistible to your taste buds – and your waistline. The next time you’re tempted to get fattening fried food to-go, pick up the ingredients yourself and cook our clean eating chicken fried rice instead. You’ll save a ton of money from ordering that take-out, and you’ll be in control of adding only nutrient-dense ingredients. In the end, you’ll thank yourself for how good you feel after eating a full serving of this incredibly flavorful dish.
This clean eating chicken fried rice recipe also makes incredible leftovers, so don’t be afraid of making a double batch. The flavors really come together in the refrigerator overnight (especially that fresh ginger root). It’ll taste like a brand new dish after its reheated. In fact, it can even be frozen. That means you’ll have a ready-to-eat, healthy meal waiting for you on those on-the-go days.
A Healthier Chicken Fried Rice Recipe
Our clean eating chicken fried rice has the same satisfying tastes as restaurant versions, but our flavors come from a plenitude healthy ingredients. The nutty brown rice fills you with fiber and minerals, and our stir-fry mix is a powerhouse of nutrient-dense foods. Onions, bell peppers, and scallions unleash the full depth of their flavor while frying. Plus, eggs and chicken provide a healthy dose of protein. This delicious stir-fry will fill the whole family with the nutrients they need for a healthy meal.
It’s also a pretty quick meal to throw together, too, making it perfect for weeknight meals. It does take about 30-4o minutes to cook the rice, but you can make that ahead of time since you need to let it cool completely. Once the rice is cooked, the dish comes together in about 15 minutes and it’s a one-pot meal! Less cleanup, more nutrition, and guilt-free flavor: sounds about perfect to me!
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1/2 cup | Calories: 266 | Total Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 88mg | Sodium: 254mg | Carbohydrates: 30g | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Protein: 23g | SmartPoints: 6
- 1 cup long grain brown rice
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup diced bell pepper, red or green
- 1 tablespoon finely minced, peeled ginger root
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2-3 tablespoons lite soy sauce, optional Tamari
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions or green onions, optional
- For the rice:
- Add rice, salt, and water to a pot, stir once, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and cover. Allow to cook, untouched, for 40 minutes or until tender and liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes, covered.
- Refrigerate rice until cold, preferably overnight.
- To fry the rice:
- Add olive oil to a large nonstick skillet or wok. Over medium heat add chicken, onions, bell pepper, and ginger and cook for about 4 to 5 minutes, until onions are translucent and chicken is mostly cooked through. Add cooked rice and water and increase heat to medium-high.
- Push rice to one side and add beaten eggs to the other side, scramble quickly then toss in with the rice mixture. Stir in the soy sauce and sesame oil.
- Remove from the heat and toss in the scallions, if using. Enjoy!
This rice pairs perfectly with some of our favorite Asian recipes!
- 5 Clean Asian Inspired Meal
- Spicy Asian Chicken Meatballs Recipe
- Easy Beef & Broccoli
- Asian Mango Chicken Stir Fry
Have a thought to share? Leave us a comment about this article or anything else you’d like to see on SkinnyMs.! We’d love to hear from you.
Editor’s Note: Originally Published Nov 29, 2015