Asian food is not just about takeout. The Asian culinary sphere is full of opportunities for you to learn about new ingredients and cooking methods. While some Asian dishes are quite tricky, many can easily be prepared at home. For this recipe, you can use a wok, which is traditionally used for sautéed dishes, but a regular saucepan can function the same way as the Asian woks do. So grab the main ingredients and start making a genuine Asian meal in your own kitchen with healthy ingredients that you handpicked. Remember that Asian meals almost always go nicely with rice or noodles and with this dish, a bowl of steamed rice is the perfect partner.
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe | Calories: 218 | Total Fat: 8 g | Saturated Fat: 2 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 43 mg | Sodium: 320 mg | Carbohydrates: 17 g | Dietary Fiber: 3 g | Sugars: 5 g | Protein: 20 g | SmartPoints: 6 |
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 (2-inch piece) ginger, crushed
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 10 ounces beef, sliced into strips (sirloin or flank will work great)
- 10 ounces broccoli, florets
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1/4 cup lite (lower-sodium) soy sauce, optional Tamari or coconut aminos
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup water, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch or arrowroot
- Over medium heat, in a wok or saucepan with olive oil, sauté the garlic, ginger and onion for 3 minutes. Add the beef and cook for 5 minutes. Add the broccoli and bell pepper.
- In a small bowl, mix the soy sauce, honey, lemon, and ground pepper. Adjust to taste.
- In another small bowl, mix the starch and half of the water. Set aside.
- Pour the soy sauce mixture in the wok then add the remaining half of the water. Cook for 10 - 15 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked through but still crispy. Pour the cornstarch mixture and cook until the sauce is thick. Serve with steamed brown rice or quinoa.
Here are more ideas to prepare for an Asian dinner:
If you are like what you see in SkinnyMs., subscribe to our newsletter and never get left behind to what’s new in healthy living.