Rollatini, or involtini, as it’s referred to in Italy, is a popular dish made with thin strips of eggplant, chicken, or veal, rolled with cheese, breaded and baked. It’s often served as an appetizer, but can be enjoyed as a main course as well. It’s thin layers of various meats, veggies, and cheeses, as well as its crispy crust, contribute a variety of tastes and textures that make it a popular dish both in North America and abroad.
We’ve concocted a clean eating, healthy rollatini recipe that will please kids and adults alike. Chicken is a lean meat, lending a whopping dose of lean protein without the excess fat and calories of fattier varieties of meat. We love the super combination of spinach and chicken. The two always taste great together, and spinach is a fiber and antioxidant rich superfood that gives this dish a nutrient boost. We’ve added a bit of Parmesan and mozzarella for additional flavor and texture, but in moderate amounts, so that the fat and calorie quotient of this recipe stays low. We use low-fat mozzarella, and Parmesan is known for being high in calcium. Italian babies count it among one of their very first foods, a nutritious and healthy choice.
These crunchy rolls are baked, not fried, adding to their healthy eating factor. And the filling satisfaction of chicken, paired with gooey cheese and crunchy baked breadcrumbs, combine to make this a treat you won’t feel guilty indulging in!
Yields: 8 servings/8 rolls | Serving Size: 2 rolls | Calories: 305 |Total Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 72 mg | Sodium: 490 mg | Carbohydrates: 11 g | Dietary Fiber: 1 g | Sugars: 1 g | Protein: 26g | SmartPoints: 9 |
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 chicken breast filets
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup Italian style breadcrumbs or panko
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Over medium heat, in a medium saucepan with extra-virgin olive oil, sautè the garlic for one minute. When it turns golden, sautè the spinach for about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside and let it cool.
- When the spinach has cooled down, add the Parmesan and mozzarella.
- Prepare 2 plates with extra-virgin olive oil for coating the rolls and another one with the breadcrumbs.
- Using a meat tenderizer, pound the chicken filets until thin enough to easily roll. Cut each in half lengthwise.
- Lay a chicken fillet on a plate then add a layer of spinach mixture on top. Tightly roll the chicken until the end. Lightly coat the outside of the rolls with extra-virgin olive oil.
- Coat the chicken with the breadcrumbs, pressing crumbs onto the rolls as needed. Place the rolls on a baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cooked through and golden.
More delicious chicken and spinach recipes:
Slow Cooker Spinach Artichoke Chicken
Chicken, Spinach, and Corn Sauté
Oregano Chicken and Orzo with Olives, Tomatoes, Spinach and Feta
Grilled Chicken and Blueberry Salad
Chicken Pesto Pita
Make sure you subscribe to our newsletter so you don’t miss out anything on SkinnyMs.
We’d love to hear what you think. Leave us a comment in the comments section below.