Roll up traditional Chicken Parm for a fun, festive treat!
Everyone loves Chicken Parmesan. This classic favorite combines gooey melted cheese, delicious sauce, and protein-packed chicken, making it a family favorite for a reason. Our skinny version turns this traditional recipe into tasty rolls, perfect for appetizers, parties, watching the Superbowl or the Oscars, or even dinner with a great side salad.
Making your own marinara sauce is easier than you might think, and once you try it once, you’ll never go back to storebought sauce. Choosing the best tomatoes you can find, whether they’re fresh tomatoes in season, or canned San Marzano beauties, is the key to this delicious sauce that gives the rolls their kick.
These rolls contain healthy ingredients such as chicken, which offers some of the leaner protein available, tomatoes, which are rich in antioxidants, and extra virgin olive oil, a healthy fat that helps to lower cholesterol. If you’re serving these to kids, they may not appreciate the fact that they’re getting a well-balanced meal made from whole ingredients, but they will love the fun roll-up shape, the gooey quick-melt cheese, and the tasty tomato sauce. This recipe is truly a crowd-pleaser, and it’s one you’ll want to have on hand to serve to friends and loved ones on a variety of occasions.
Chicken Parmesan Rolls with Marinara Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups marinara sauce store-bought or make your own with recipe below
- 1 pound boneless and skinless chicken breasts 8 thin slices
- 8 provolone slices substitute with mozzarella or another quick melting cheese of choice (smaller width compared to the chicken fillet)
- 8 teaspoons parmesan cheese grated
- 8 sage leaves small, fresh
- olive oil
- breadcrumbs for coating the chicken rolls
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 1 anchovy fillet
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 14 1/2 ounces tomatoes can
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- To make the marinara sauce, over medium heat, in a saucepan with olive oil, sautè the anchovy and the garlic until golden.
- Pour the canned tomatoes and cook on low-medium heat for 15 - 20 minutes. At the end of cooking, add the salt, pepper, and the oregano. Cover to keep it warm and set aside.
- On a plate, lay a slice of chicken fillet. Place a slice of cheese in the middle, a sage leaf and sprinkle a teaspoon of Parmesan cheese. Roll to close then secure with toothpicks in the middle and both ends so that the cheese will not leak out while cooking.
- Prepare a plate with olive oil and coat the chicken rolls with it, without being too excessive.
- On a plate with the breadcrumbs, roll the chicken rolls and coat them well.
- Over medium heat, in a saucepan with abundant olive oil, brown all the sides of the chicken. Take away the toothpicks one by one when you see the rolls are already compact and will not open anymore. This is to ensure that the chicken will cook evenly.
- When the chicken rolls are cooked, place them on a serving plate, sliced and topped with the tomato sauce.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
You will love these other amazing chicken recipes:
Asian Stir-Fry with Cashews & Chicken
Grilled Chicken and Vegetable Skewers
Creamy Sundried Tomato Chicken
Make sure that you subscribe to our newsletter, so that you don’t miss out on all things Skinny Ms.