When burgers and quesadillas team up, you get a craveworthy recipe like this one!
Once you try our easy homemade black bean burgers with spicy chipotle aioli, you’ll never go back to buying frozen veggie burgers again. These particular burgers are unlike all the others because they skip the plain-old hamburger buns. Instead, you’ll serve the patties in a crispy, crunchy, quesadilla-like tortilla! Trust us: They’re delicious! The next time you find yourself craving a burger, give these drool worthy black bean burgers a shot.
Meat-Free, Vegetarian-Friendly, and Potentially Plant-Based
As the vegetarian lifestyle continues to grow in popularity, so does our collection of meat-free recipes! While this particular recipe is not 100% vegan, you can make it that way with a few simple swaps.
We use two non-plant-based ingredients in this recipe: shredded Mexican cheese and mayonnaise. Luckily, another great thing about the growing popularity of the plant-based lifestyle is the availability of vegan-friendly products in most grocery stores. Using vegan Mexican shredded cheese and vegan mayonnaise in this recipe will make it a totally plant-based meal!
Burger Patties Made with Nutritious Ingredients
Our black bean burgers with spicy chipotle aioli are made with ultra nutrient dense ingredients that also offer a wide range of yummy flavor. The bulk of the patties are made up of black beans, oats, flax seeds, and zucchini. These ingredients also contribute the most nutritional value.
Black beans are rich in fiber and are an excellent source of plant-based protein. Oats add to the fiber content of these burgers, and also lower cholesterol and boost heart health. Next, flax seeds add more heart-healthy fiber while also promoting digestive health. And, lastly, zucchini is a great source of vitamin C, which is vital in the body’s healing process, and vitamin B6, which also contributes to a healthy body and mind.
Our Burgers Offer Delicious Tastes and Textures
The four main ingredients in our black bean burger patties create a wonderful earthy flavor, but they also provide a hearty, meat-like texture. The fiber content alone will leave you feeling full and satisfied.
The real flavor comes from the blend of spices. This mixture contains chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, ground cumin, and salt. These spices give the black bean burgers their savory and spicy kick!
Side Dishes for these Black Bean Burgers with Spicy Chipotle Aioli
Burgers are probably one of the easiest meals to pair with side dishes. There aren’t many things that don’t go well with a burger! We have dozens of side dish options that will go perfectly with these black bean burgers, but here are some of our absolute favorites:
Black Bean Burgers with Spicy Chipotle Aioli
- 13.5 ounces canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup whole oats
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1 zucchini large
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 whole wheat wraps 10 inch
- 1 cup low fat shredded Mexican cheese
- 1 roma tomato diced
- 1 cup baby spinach
Spicy Chipotle Aioli
- 1/4 cup low fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon chipotle sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a food processor, combine black beans, oats, shredded zucchini, flax, and spices
- Form the mixture into four patties
- Heat ½ tbs olive oil in a pan on medium heat
- Cook the patty for 6 minutes one each side
- Meanwhile, mix Spicy Chipotle Aioli ingredients together in a small bowl
- Place the cooked patty in the middle of a whole wheat wrap and top with shredded cheese, diced tomato, spinach, and Spicy Chipotle Aioli.
- Heat a frying pan with the rest of the olive oil over medium-high heat
- Take one side of the wrap and fold over towards the center, then continue this method in a clockwise direction around the wrap until it resembles a hexagonal shape
- Place the burger folded side down in the frying pan and cook for about 3 minutes, or until the wrap stays in place and is golden
- Flip and cook for another 2 minutes
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Are you going to give our black bean burgers with spicy chipotle aioli a try? If you do, be sure to share your thoughts with us in the comment section below!