No Thanksgiving spread is complete without the all-important turkey. This year, give your traditional bird a kick and try our Cajun Roast Turkey recipe. You will fall in love with the flavorful spice rub and aromatic stuffing. This oven preparation will keep the turkey moist outside with a crispy skin.
If you want to stand out and continue a Cajun theme for the whole meal, make a Boudin stuffing and serve with other incredibly flavorful sides such as Cajun Shrimp with Herbed Brown Rice or even Chicken and Shrimp Jambalaya. Either way, your family is guaranteed to go crazy for our jazzed up version of roast turkey.
Yields: About 10 servings | Serving Size: 6-8 ounces | Calories: 329 | Total Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 122mg | Sodium: 607mg | Carbohydrates: 11g | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 3g | Protein: 49g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 6
- 1 (10 pound) whole turkey, thawed
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 3 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 yellow onion, quartered
- 4 celery stalks, chopped into large chunks
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped into large chunks
- 2 large green peppers, chopped into large chunks
- 5 stems fresh oregano
- 10 stems fresh thyme
- 1 quart water
- Line a roasting pan with foil and place roasting rack on top. Lightly spray with nonstick spray. Rinse turkey and pat dry with paper towel, place in prepared roasting pan.
- Combine all rub ingredients to make a past. Rub the paste over the entire turkey. Cover with foil lightly sprayed with nonstick spray. Refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, toss all ingredients, except water. Remove turkey from refrigerator and stuff the turkey with mix, lay excess mix around the turkey in the pan. Pour enough water in the pan just until it reaches the bottom of the turkey. Cover with a fresh sheet of foil lightly sprayed with nonstick spray.
- Bake for about 3 hours or until internal temperature is 165 degrees. Check frequently and add more water if needed. Uncover the turkey for the last 15 to 20 minutes of roasting.
- TIPS: For turkeys more than 10 pounds, add 1 teaspoon of each spice for every 2 pounds of turkey for the rub. Add 20 minutes of baking time for each pound. Always check the temperature of the turkey with a thermometer, pop up timers in turkeys often over cook the turkey.
Did you break tradition and serve something new and creative at Thanksgiving? Let us know your culinary daring in the comments below!