Sweet enough to satisfy your sweet tooth without breaking the calorie bank.
Bread pudding is typically an indulgent dessert, only to be enjoyed on special occasions. But that’s about to change. Our caramel apple bread pudding is skinny enough to be enjoyed more regularly, but is just as delicious, so it’s still a great treat for special occasions! The caramel apple flavor makes it exceptionally good throughout the fall season though!
Making a Skinnier Dessert
You can pretty much make any recipe healthier, including desserts. All you have to do is swap the right ingredients. Our caramel apple bread pudding is sweetened only with applesauce and molasses, both of which offer more nutrients than regular sugar. We also decided to use whole wheat bread as the base instead of the usual French bread. Then, the custard is made using almond milk, eggs, and spices, all of which are compatible with a clean-eating diet. We finish the bread pudding off with fresh apples, which are a good source of Potassium and Vitamin C.
How to Make Our Caramel Apple Bread Pudding
This caramel apple bread pudding takes just under an hour to prepare, but most of that is bake time! Begin by preheating the oven to 325 degrees. Lightly coat a 9X13-inch casserole dish with nonstick spray.
Whisk all of the ingredients (except the bread and apple) together in a mixing bowl. Lay the bread cubes in the casserole dish and top them with the cubed apples. Next, pour some of the applesauce mix over the bread and chopped apples. Allow everything to sit for about five minutes and then add more liquid. Repeat this process until the liquid and bread mix sits about one-fourth of an inch from the top of the casserole dish.
Fill an oven-safe dish with water and place it on the bottom rack of the oven. Slide the bread pudding mix on the rack directly above the water dish. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. The top of the bread pudding should be golden brown. If the water in the bottom pan is low, add more as needed. Allow the bread pudding to sit for at least 10 minutes before serving. That’s it! Pretty simple, right?
Caramel Apple Bread Pudding
- 1 cup applesauce unsweetened
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 5 cups whole-wheat bread cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup apples fresh, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly spread 9X13 inch casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- In mixing bowl, whisk together all ingredients except bread and apple. Lay bread cubes in prepared dish and top with cubed apples. Pour the applesauce mix over the bread and apples. Allow to sit for 5 minutes, add more liquid. Repeat process until liquid and bread mix is 1/4 inch from the top of the casserole dish.
- Fill an oven-safe dish with water and place on the bottom rack of the oven. Place the bread pudding mix on the rack directly above the water dish. Bake 30 to 40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Top should be golden brown. If water is low in the bottom pan, add more as needed. Allow to sit for 10 minutes before serving, serve warm, and enjoy!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
If you try try this caramel apple bread puffing and enjoy it, you might also like:
- Perfectly Portioned Skinny Banana Pudding Recipe
- Vegan Caramel Apple Parfait
- Clean-Eating Apple Pecan Crumble
What other indulgent desserts would you like to see skinny versions of? Let us know in the comments!
Be sure to follow us on Pinterest for more awesome recipes!