Sweet enough to satisfy your sweet tooth without breaking the calorie bank.
Bread pudding is typically an indulgent dessert only to be enjoyed on special occasions. Our Caramel Apple Bread Pudding is skinny enough to be enjoyed more regularly though! It’s sweetened only with applesauce and molasses and uses whole wheat bread as the base. The custard is made using almond milk, eggs, and spices and it’s all mixed with fresh cubed apples.
This bread pudding is just sweet enough to satisfy your sweet tooth without breaking the calorie bank. If you’re feeling particularly indulgent though, you could drizzle it with a homemade caramel or vanilla sauce.
Caramel Apple Bread Pudding
- 1 cup applesauce unsweetened
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 5 cups whole-wheat bread cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup apples fresh, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly spread 9X13 inch casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- In mixing bowl, whisk together all ingredients except bread and apple. Lay bread cubes in prepared dish and top with cubed apples. Pour the applesauce mix over the bread and apples. Allow to sit for 5 minutes, add more liquid. Repeat process until liquid and bread mix is 1/4 inch from the top of the casserole dish.
- Fill an oven-safe dish with water and place on the bottom rack of the oven. Place the bread pudding mix on the rack directly above the water dish. Bake 30 to 40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Top should be golden brown. If water is low in the bottom pan, add more as needed. Allow to sit for 10 minutes before serving, serve warm, and enjoy!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
What indulgent desserts would you like to see skinny versions of? Let us know in the comments!