I find myself craving Chipotle’s burrito bowls all the time. They always seem like a healthier way to eat fast food, but before I know it I’ve loaded up on unhealthy ingredients like sour cream and cheese. Not to mention that their white rice has a surprising number of calories (210, to be exact!). That makes it pretty easy for things to get out of control, exceeding my calorie quota for the day. If I want to keep myself from feeling guilty while still getting to enjoy my favorite foods, it’s definitely time to skip the line and make that Chicken Burrito Bowl at home!
These bowls are surprisingly easy (and inexpensive) to make. Each bowl has less than 400 calories all while maintaining that rich, creamy flavor you love about your favorite take-out burrito. In addition to being low in calories and fat, these bowls are also packed full of vegetables, delivering the vitamins and minerals your body needs to keep it at peak performance. And since each recipe makes two servings, you’ll have the perfect amount of food for tonight’s dinner and tomorrow’s lunch!
Don’t Be Afraid of the Long List of Ingredients
Okay, this recipe might look intimidating at first. After all, there’s a huge list of ingredients! Before you write it off as being time consuming or difficult, let me assure you that’s not the case. It will take you a few minutes to chop your ingredients and get everything ready, but there is very little cook time involved here.
Let’s take a look at the Creamy Chipotle Sauce first. All you need to do is puree the chipotle peppers and mix them with the yogurt and lime juice. Easy! Next up is the Fresh Pico de Gallo. This step does require quite a bit of chopping, and it’s totally worth it once you taste it! But, we totally get it if you don’t have the time to chop everything. There are plenty of store-made options (usually found in a refrigerated section near the deli) that don’t add much extra sodium or fat. Canned salsa found in the center of the grocery store will lack that fresh, juicy flavor of a pico de gallo, but you could also use your favorite salsa instead.
Finally, the bowl itself. Most of these ingredients don’t require any cooking at all. You simply cook up the chicken, chop up your lettuce and avocado, and arrange everything in the bowl of your choice. So the long list of ingredients actually doesn’t require that much hands-on time after all!
One of my favorite things about this Chicken Burrito Bowl recipe is how easy it is to customize! We make this recipe with chopped boneless, skinless chicken breasts, but you could easily use any protein you have on hand. Swap in this 5-Ingredient Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Pork, or use last night’s leftover pot roast. Just about any kind of meat would taste delicious in this burrito bowl, so go for it!
You could also make this meal a vegetarian or vegan bowl by making a few ingredient swaps. Use our recipe for dairy-free sour cream to make the chipotle sauce. And instead of the chicken, double down on beans or whip-up your favorite baked tofu in its place.
Yield: 2 Servings | Serving Size: 1 bowl | Calories: 392 | Total Fat: 9 g | Saturated Fat: 2 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Carbohydrates: 49 g | Fiber: 12 g | Sugar: 6 g | Protein: 30 g | Cholesterol: 43 mg | Sodium: 414 mg | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 4
- 1/4 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoons canned chipotle peppers, pureed
- 1/2 cup roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon red onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno peppers, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup boneless and skinless chicken breast, chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/2 cup baby arugula
- 1/2 cup baby spinach
- 1 cup romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1/2 cup corn kernels
- 1/2 cup black beans (canned or cooked)
- 1/4 cup fresh avocado, pit removed, peeled, and mashed
- Combine all ingredients. Stir until mixed well and smooth. Set aside.
- Combine all ingredients. Mix well and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet on medium heat. Once hot, add the chicken, chili powder, and cumin. Cook until the chicken is firm and cooked through. Remove from heat and toss the chicken in 2 teaspoons of the lime juice and set aside.
- In a bowl, toss together the arugula, spinach and lettuce. Divide the greens between two large serving bowls. In sections, place the corn and black beans on top of the lettuce. Combine the avocado and remaining lime juice. Place in the avocado mix in another section over the greens.
- Next, divide the chicken in half and place the chicken over the greens in it's own section, and last the fresh pico de gallo.
- Drizzle the chipotle sauce over top. Serve.