We all want to love our hair — the way it smells, its luster, its strength and its fullness. When our hair looks good, we feel good. When it’s dry, frizzy and lifeless, we feel … well, let’s not go there.
You don’t need excessive chemicals, ingredients and a wide assortment of shampoos and conditioners to your hair to make beautiful. Combining just two simple ingredients — avocado and olive oil — will give your hair all the benefits it needs to stand out anywhere you go.
Ingredients & Why They Work:
Avocado – Avocados are a miracle fruit, and we keep finding out just how amazing they can be for our bodies. Internally, they provide us with potassium, which helps reduce blood pressure; heart-healthy fat by way of oleic acid, which can fight off cancer; and fiber, which is great for your metabolism and weight loss.
What makes avocados beneficial topically is their richness in over 20 vitamins and minerals. For your hair, vitamins B and E work on protecting it and bringing it strength. Vitamin E has the ability to repair damaged scalps and promote hair follicle growth. Using avocados on hair has a long history, going back to the Ancient Egyptians, who were the first to use it to prevent hair loss. With their natural ability to moisturize and give natural shine, avocados are a go-to for any do-it-yourself hair treatment!
Olive Oil – What isn’t olive oil good for? Heart disease, cancer, diabetes and even arthritis can be fought off with regular doses of olive oil in your diet. When applied topically, olive oil is a great moisturizer for your scalp. And the benefits of olive oil for your hair are plentiful. Split ends and frizzies? Olive oil provides a quick temporary fix to help, due do its weight and moisturizing abilities. Olive oil is also a great substitute for your conditioner. A deep olive oil cleanse weekly can bring new life, shine and softness to your hair and make it easier to style. With vitamins A and E and antioxidants, olive oil protects the protein in hair by sealing moisture, and it removes excess sweat build up, which causes a blockage of hair follicles and prevents hair growth.
Now that we’ve overwhelmed you with all the amazing benefits, let’s get to creating! (Please note, olive oil may lighten treated hair. If you have chemically treated hair, you can try jojoba oil, which has similar properties, as a substitute.)
What to Do:
1. Mix 2 tablespoons and one avocado together in a small saucepan. A hass avocado will work perfectly, since you don’t need too much.
2. Place the pan on the stove over low heat and stir the mixture to evenly distribute the olive oil. Stir until warm. You can also microwave the mix in a microwave-safe bowl if you prefer.
3. Once it’s warm, give it a stir and then massage the mixture throughout your hair and scalp. Pay special attention to your problem areas, whether that’s your scalp, ends or roots.
4. Once you have the mask evenly spread, place a shower cap on your head and leave it in for 20 minutes.
5. Once the 20 minutes are up, rinse off the hair mask with warm water in the shower. You’re all set!
6. None of the ingredients will cause any damage to your hair, so this mask is something you can do as often as you need. Also feel free to add some essential oils for some amazing smells to go with your newly moisturized hair!
Sources: Livestrong, Feminspire
DIY isn’t just for your skin. Workouts are all about doing it yourself. Check out some of our favorite body-weight exercises that focus on you doing the work all by yourself:
Body Weight Blast Workout
7-Minute Body Weight Blast Workout
Use Your Own Body Weight Workout