This frozen dessert will swiftly transport you to an exotic island. The tropical flavors of both main ingredients are exquisite when combined. Granita is a frozen treat made with water, sugar, and fruit that traces its roots to Sicily. In our recipe, we put a tropical spin on the Italian favorite. The coconut milk lends a slightly thicker and creamier consistency to the granita that resembles ice cream, while the tart flavor of the mango punches up the dish’s flavor.
Coconut Granita Drizzled with Mango Sauce
- 1 cup lite coconut milk canned
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons coconut palm sugar optional turbinado
- 1 mango ripe, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 lime zest
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Over medium heat, in a saucepan, boil the water and 2 tablespoons sugar together.
- When the sugar has melted, add the coconut milk. Simmer for 10 minutes or until slightly thick.
- Transfer the coconut mixture to a container that can be sealed with a cover then let it reach room temperature.
- Put the container in the freezer overnight or until it freezes. Move around the granita with a spoon every hour. If the granita solidifies into one compact hard piece because you were not able to move it around, just break some pieces and put them in a blender to break them up right before serving.
- To prepare the mango sauce, put the mango pulp, 1 tablespoon sugar, lime juice, and zest in a blender and blend until smooth. Refrigerate.
- Serve the granita and pour the sauce on top.
Make sure you subscribe to our newsletter so you don’t miss out anything on SkinnyMs.
We’d love to hear what you think. Leave us a comment in the comments section below.