Eggplant is brain food. The skin contains a potent antioxidant called nasunin found in the skin that helps protect our cell membranes from damage. The pulp also has a load of vitamins and minerals with some antioxidants other than nasunin. In short, eggplants are very healthy vegetables and the good thing is, we can cook them in so many different ways. Here we have some grilled eggplants marinated with Mediterranean flavorings then accompanied by fresh tomato salad. Light eating with unlimited nutrients, that’s what our bodies need.
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 1 eggplant and salad toppings | Calories: 309 | Total Fat: 24 g | Saturated Fat: 3 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 162 mg | Carbohydrates: 24 g | Dietary Fiber: 7 g | Sugars: 14 g | Protein: 5 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 11
- 4 small eggplants, halved lengthwise
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 5 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 - 2 small chilis, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups chopped or sliced tomatoes
- 2 cups lettuce
- 1/4 cup olives, pitted
- In a small bowl, mix 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, garlic, dried oregano, half of the parsley, and the chili.
- Brush the mixture on the side of the eggplants with the pulp.
- Over medium fire, in a grill or griddle, grill both sides of the eggplants until they are cooked through.
- While waiting for the eggplants to cook, prepare the salad by mixing the tomatoes, olives, the remaining extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and salt.
- Place the cooked eggplants on a plate and sprinkle the tomatoes around them. Serve.
Here are more delicious eggplant dishes to choose from:
Roasted Eggplant and Quinoa Salad
Spicy Eggplant Chili
Skinny Eggplant Caponata
Grilled Eggplant & Zucchini Salad
Slow Cooker Eggplant, Potato, and Mushroom Curry
Eggplant and Zucchini Gratin by Julia Child
Make sure you subscribe to our daily newsletter so you don’t miss out anything on Skinny Ms.
We’d love to hear what you think. Leave us a comment in the comments section below.