The demand for quick-service Mexican food has increased in recent years. So, companies like Chipotle, Qdoba, and Taco Bell supply. Gathering inspiration from their offerings, we created these Healthy Chicken Burrito Wraps as an alternative. Whole wheat wraps, brown rice, and low fat cheese cut back on calories, and broccoli bulks up the nutrients. Avocado adds a healthy fat, while chicken breast rounds it out with lean protein. Best of all, you can make most of the ingredients yourself!
Next time you’re in the mood for a Mexican-inspired burrito, whip up a batch of our Healthy Chicken Burrito wraps instead. Not only will you cut back on calories, but you’ll also save yourself a trip. They’re wholesome, filling, and taste just as good as their fast-food counterparts!
Yields: 5 servings | Serving Size: 1 wrap | Calories: 382 | Total Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 43mg | Sodium: 127mg | Carbohydrates: 44g | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 1g | Protein: 18g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 11
- 2 cups of chicken fillet, pre-cooked and shredded
- 1 cup of Mexican rice or brown rice, pre-cooked
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 cup of broccoli florets, cooked and chopped
- 2 tablespoons of cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup of grated sharp cheddar cheese, reduced-fat
- 5 (8-inch) whole grain tortillas
- 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil
- In a mixing bowl mix together chicken, rice, avocado, broccoli, cilantro and cheddar cheese.
- Evenly distribute the mixture in the middle of the tortillas and fold them over tight, making sure the filling doesn’t fall out .
- Heat a grill pan or a skillet, add extra-virgin olive oil. Set the filled wraps on a pan and cook over medium-high heat for about 2-3 minutes on each side until tortillas are golden brown and cheese is melted inside.
- Serve warm.
What are some of your favorite burrito fillings? Let us know in the comments!