Dinner is a snap with this healthy one-pot entree!
Brown and red rice are two of the healthier rice varieties you can choose. Both are less refined than white rice, keeping their fiber and nutrient content intact. We chose red rice for this delicious entree, but if you prefer brown, feel free to substitute.
Red rice contains anthocyanins, which are a type of antioxidant pigment. They help to reduce inflammation and allergies. Red rice is also rich in vitamin B, iron, calcium, and zinc. Like brown rice, it has a distinctive nutty flavor and can be eaten cold or warm, mixed with other ingredients like vegetables, meat and seafood.
To simplify the cooking process, combine your ingredients in one pan and sautè them together. For an Asian twist, we used soy sauce, ginger, and lime to flavor the dish.
Healthy Sautéed Rice with Peas and Chicken
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce lite or tamari
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger grated
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cane sugar raw
- 4 ounces white chicken meat thinly sliced and chopped
- 1 cup red rice brown rice can be used too
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 onion coarsely chopped
- 1 cup peas frozen
- In a bowl, prepare the marinade. Mix 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 1 teaspoon lime juice, ginger, sugar, and pepper then marinate the chicken in the mixture for one to two hours.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice. Over high heat, in a saucepan, boil the rice and water together. When it starts to boil, cover and simmer on low heat for about 20 minutes or until cooked through (they should remain chewy). Over medium heat, in a saucepan with olive oil, sautè the onions then add the peas. Drain the chicken (discard the marinade) and add to the saucepan.
- Add the rice and toss for about 3 minutes. Add the remaining lime juice and the soy sauce. Serve warm.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
If you liked this healthy rice recipe, we have more in store for you:
We’d love to hear what you think. Leave us a comment in the comments section below.