This spin on classic creamy chicken and rice soup is a big favorite. It’s comforting with soft, chewy grains of brown rice and a creamy, herby broth. It’s filled to the brim with tender bites of chicken, carrots, potatoes, celery and onion.
Because it’s a slow cooker recipe, it’s easy to turn on low before starting your day and to simply ladle into bowls for dinner, after returning home. Kids like it too!
RECIPE SIGNUP: If you’re interested in receiving our newest and best Slow Cooker recipes via email, signup here: eNewsletter Signup.
Yields: 8 Servings | Serving Size: 1 Cup | Calories: 180 | Total Fat: 5 | Saturated Fat: 2 | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 45 mg | Sodium: 339 mg | Carbohydrates: 13 g | Dietary Fiber: 2 g | Sugar: 1 g | Protein: 17 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 3 |
- 1/2 cup long grain brown rice (this is not the quick type of rice)
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 large potato, cut into 1" cubes
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 yellow or sweet onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt, more or less to taste
- 2 fresh sprigs thyme, stems removed
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast....about two breast filets, cut into 1" pieces
- 4 cups chicken broth, (recommend bone broth)
- 1 cup milk (I used 1%, skim is not recommended for this recipe)
- 1 tablespoons cornstarch
- Note: If you prefer a more subtle onion flavor, saute diced onion in 1 tablespoon olive oil until tender, about 5 minutes. Add to slow cooker.
- Add all ingredients, except milk and cornstarch, to the slow cooker and stir to combine. Cover and cook on low 6 to 8 hours, or until chicken is cooked and carrots and rice are tender.
- Before turning off the slow cooker, add the milk and stir to combine. Cook about additional 10 minutes.
- If a thicker soup is preferred: whisk together the milk with 1 tablespoon cornstarch. Add the milk mixture and stir. Cover, and continue cooking until soup has thickened, about 10 minutes.