This spin on classic creamy chicken and rice soup is a big favorite. It’s comforting with soft, chewy grains of brown rice and a creamy, herby broth. It’s filled to the brim with tender bites of chicken, carrots, potatoes, celery and onion.
Because it’s a slow cooker recipe, it’s easy to turn on low before starting your day and to simply ladle into bowls for dinner, after returning home. Kids like it too!
Slow Cooker Cream of Chicken and Rice Soup
- 1/2 cup long grain brown rice this is not the quick type of rice
- 3 carrots peeled and sliced
- 1 potato large, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 stalk celery diced
- 1 yellow onion or sweet onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt more or less to taste
- 2 fresh sprigs thyme stems removed
- 1 pound boneless and skinless chicken breast about two breast filets, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 4 cups chicken broth recommend bone broth
- 1 cup milk I used 1%, skim is not recommended for this recipe
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Add all ingredients, except milk and cornstarch, to the slow cooker and stir to combine. Cover and cook on low 6 to 8 hours, or until chicken is cooked and carrots and rice are tender.
- Before turning off the slow cooker, add the milk and stir to combine. Cook about an additional 10 minutes.
If you’re interested in receiving our newest and best Slow Cooker recipes via email, signup here: daily eNewsletter Signup.