This delicious meal is easily made in the slow cooker!
This spin on the classic creamy chicken and rice soup will certainly become a regular at your dinner table! We made a few ingredient swaps to make this recipe waistline-friendly while maintaining the original’s wholesome flavor. Each spoonful delivers soft, chewy grains of brown rice swimming in a creamy, herb-filled broth. Our Slow Cooker Cream of Chicken and Rice Soup is filled to the brim with tender bites of chicken, carrots, potatoes, celery, and onion. As a bonus, it’s a breeze to make!
How to Make Cream of Chicken and Rice Soup
Thanks to the magic of your slow cooker, this recipe is a snap to whip up. Simply add all the ingredients (except the milk and cornstarch). Cover the Crock-Pot and cook the soup on low for 6 to 8 hours. It’s finished when the rice is soft, the chicken is cooked through, and carrots feel tender. Afterward, stir in milk and cook for an additional 10 minutes. For a soup with a thicker consistency, you can whisk a tablespoon of cornstarch into the milk before adding it to the slow cooker.
This belly-warming soup tastes super indulgent without taking a toll on your waistline! Low-calorie veggies like carrots and celery bulk up this soup to deliver nutrition while making the meal more filling. Meanwhile, healthy carbs like brown rice and potatoes deliver energy-boosting goodness with every bite.
Our Chicken and Rice Soup Calls For Powerful Superfoods
Ingredients like thyme, garlic, and red pepper flakes play a larger role than just adding incredible depth of flavor to this recipe. Fresh springs of thyme add a refreshingly clean taste to any dish, and they also contain antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. They’re a wonderful ingredient to add to meals when you feel a cold about to strike!
Likewise, garlic carries a boatload of medicinal properties that can combat sickness. It’s also a fantastic source of vitamin C, vitamin B6, and manganese. Finally, red pepper flakes can boost your metabolism and help you burn more calories. Meanwhile, research suggests a diet that contains red pepper flakes may help ward off cravings.
Boneless, skinless chicken breasts are really the in this chicken and rice soup, so we would be remiss if we didn’t talk about them! They add a great source of lean protein to this recipe to help fill you up and keep you feeling fuller for longer. The chicken becomes fork-tender and drool-worthy as it cooks on the low in your slow cooker.
An Easy to Serve Soup Your Body Will Thank You for
Weighing in at just 180 calories a serving, this slow cooker chicken and rice soup makes a delicious low-calorie meal. Meanwhile, this savory soup carries a whopping 17 grams of protein and just 5 grams of fat. It’ll fill you up without weighing you down, making this soup a fantastic weight-loss meal to keep on hand!
Prep your ingredients in the morning before going about your day. Once you return home, simply ladle this crave-worthy soup into bowls for dinner. Yum!
Slow Cooker Cream of Chicken and Rice Soup
- 1/2 cup long grain brown rice this is not the quick type of rice
- 3 carrots peeled and sliced
- 1 potato large, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 stalk celery diced
- 1 yellow onion or sweet onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt more or less to taste
- 2 fresh sprigs thyme stems removed
- 1 pound boneless and skinless chicken breast about two breast filets, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 4 cups chicken broth recommend bone broth
- 1 cup milk I used 1%, skim is not recommended for this recipe
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Add all ingredients, except milk and cornstarch, to the slow cooker and stir to combine. Cover and cook on low 6 to 8 hours, or until chicken is cooked and carrots and rice are tender.
- Before turning off the slow cooker, add the milk and stir to combine. Cook about an additional 10 minutes.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
For more comforting slow-cooker soups and stews recipes, make sure to check out some of our other favorites below!
- Chicken Enchilada Slow Cooker Soup
- Slow Cooker Chickpea and Vegetable Soup
- Slow Cooker Broccoli and Cheddar Soup
- Anti-Inflammatory Broccoli Turmeric Soup
- Slow Cooker Chunky Squash and Chicken Stew
If you’re interested in receiving our newest and best Slow Cooker recipes via email, signup here: daily eNewsletter Signup.