Sometimes when you come home from a long day, you just want to eat. However, finding the motivation to cook up something delicious doesn’t come easy! The best way to beat that slump is to plan ahead, so here’s a recipe that will get your mouth watering. These Individual Sweet & Sour Chicken Meals contain an excellent balance of protein, nutrients, and most importantly, flavor!
This easy-to-prep dishes includes tender pieces of boneless chicken combined with a variety of veggies, such as zucchini and broccoli. Plus, the sweet and sour sauce ties the entire plate together with sweet sensations of pineapple juice and a kick from red pepper. With such a wide palette of flavors, each and every bite has a fresh, new taste. This recipe promises to leave you wanting more. Luckily, with its large quantities of ingredients, you can get 5 meals from this single recipe!
Yields: 5 servings | Calories: 444 | Total Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 53mg | Sodium: 575mg | Carbohydrates: 48g | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 7g | Protein: 19g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 14
- 5 (6 ounces) boneless and skinless chicken breast, cut into large cubes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divded
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt, divded
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, divded
- 1 red pepper, cut into large cubes
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florettes
- 2 cups zucchini, cut into large cubes
- 1 cup red onion, cut into large cubes
- 2/3 cup pineapple juice
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon no sugar added tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Water amount according to package
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked brown rice (we used Uncle Ben's)
- 5 air tight re-heatable containers, with lids.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with non-stick spray.
- Combine cubed chicken with 1 and 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Toss to combine. Place in one even layer on the prepared baking sheet. The chicken should only take up about 1/3 of the pan.
- Combine the remaining oil, salt and pepper with the vegetables. Toss well to ensure all the vegetables are coated in the oil and seasonings. Spread in one even layer on the same baking sheet as the chicken.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes until chicken is cooked through (and reaches 165 degrees) and vegetables have begun to lightly char. Remove from oven and cool slightly.
- Combine all ingredients in a small sauce pot and whisk together. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce to a simmer, continue to simmer until sauce has thickened, stirring constantly. About 5 to 10 minutes. If needed, add 1 teaspoon of tomato paste to thicken. Repeat as needed.
- Pour over prepared chicken and vegetables and toss to coat.
- Combine in a small sauce pot and cook according to package. Remove from heat and allow rice to sit, covered, for about 10 minutes, fluff with a fork.
- Divide rice between meal prep containers, about 1 cup per container. Place chicken over half the rice, about 6 ounces per container. Last, place vegetables on top of the other half of the rice, about 1 cup. Allow to cool before covering and refrigerating or freezing.
- To reheat, defrost in the fridge then pop in a 375 degree oven for 20-30 minutes. Or, microwave for 2 to 3 minutes in a microwave safe container, or until hot and chicken reaches 140 degrees.
We need your feedback! Let us know what you thought about this article or anything else on the site.