Hearty and flavorful, a stew to warm your soul!
Nothing satisfies like a warm, hearty beef stew. However, those flavorful and comforting aromas usually take at least a day to prepare. That’s why we love this recipe! When you use your Instant Pot, this beef stew can fill you up in a flash. You don’t even have to brown the meat first, like you do when using a slow cooker. The Instant Pot does it all. If you follow this simple recipe, your stew will be finished in less than an hour! So easy, and so delicious.
This Instant Pot chunky beef stew will quickly become a family favorite. Even picky eaters will love eating this full serving of veggies! Plus, you can also make extra and freeze the leftovers for even easier weekday meals. Perfect for those busy weeks. Feel free to customize by adding your own family-favorite seasonings if you like.
Instant Pot Chunky Beef Stew
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound lean beef stew meat cubed
- 2 potatoes large, diced into 1/2 inch cubes (skins can remain on or peeled off)
- 2 carrots large, peeled and diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 yellow onion large, diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 32 ounces beef broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch optional for thickening
- 2 tablespoons water optional for thickening
- Plugin the Instant Pot and press the "Saute" function. Press the "Adjust" button to change the temperature to high. Add the olive oil, and once hot, add the beef cubes and cook until the cubes just begin to brown. Add the potatoes, carrots, onion, and garlic. Continue to cook for about 5 more minutes.
- Stir in the beef broth, stirring constantly to scrap up any bits stuck to the bottom of the Instant Pot - these bits have a lot of flavor! Add the salt, pepper, thyme, and oregano. Press the "Cancel" button followed by the "Meat/Stew" button. If needed, press the "Adjust" button to change the pressure to medium and set the time for 25 minutes. Place the lid on the Instant Pot and lock into place, make sure the vent is sealed. The Instant Pot will preheat and start the cooking time once it is hot.
- After the 25 minutes is up, carefully vent the Instant Pot. The steam will be very hot! Whisk in the tomato paste. If using the cornstarch and water for a thicker stew, combine the cornstarch and water and whisk into the stew after the tomato paste. Press the "Saute" button and bring stew to a boil. Simmer for about 5 minutes to thicken. Serve with a chunk of crusty whole-wheat bread and enjoy!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Are you in love with your Instant Pot? We have tons of recipes for you to try! Check out our Instant Pot 5-Ingredient Chicken Tacos, our Instant Pot Applesauce, and our Instant Pot Corned Beef Brisket!
Sign up for our newsletter to get tasty, easy recipes sent straight to your inbox!