A simple treat with the perfect balance of sweet and zesty flavors.
What’s not to love about this lemon blueberry loaf? It’s beautifully delicious, perfectly moist, and the best part is, it’s super quick and easy to make. And for the loaf itself, we substitute milk for unsweetened almond milk, sugar for all-natural maple syrup, butter for coconut oil, and whole wheat flour for all-purpose flour. That way, you don’t have to feel too guilty about having a slice for breakfast, as a snack, or for dessert!
How to Have This Lemon Blueberry Loaf
The thing I love most about this bread is that it not only tastes delicious, but it looks amazing too. The way the white, swirly blue, and shiny glaze come together makes it the perfect loaf to show off to company. You can bring it to your friend’s baby shower, tea parties, special brunches, or to any warm weather dinner party for dessert. I love the bright colors and zestiness of the lemon, and it’s not too sweet, which I always look for in a good dessert.
Lemon Blueberry Loaf Ingredients
Let’s go over what you’ll need and why each ingredient is vital to this recipe…
- White whole wheat flour: Includes the nutrient-rich parts (the bran and the germ) that white flour removes. Stir to loosen the flour before scooping with your measuring cup to make sure the proper amount is measured.
- Baking soda: This will help your lemon blueberry loaf rise.
- Salt: To bring out the flavors of the lemon and blueberries.
- Melted coconut oil: A much healthier substitute for butter but will still add smoothness to the loaf.
- Maple syrup: The sweetness will help balance out the acid from the lemons.
- Eggs: Binds all the ingredients together.
- Unsweetened almond milk: To give the batter a smooth consistency.
- Vanilla extract: Use all-natural vanilla extract for better aroma, flavor, and quality.
- Lemon zest and juice: For that bright, tart flavor. Make sure to zest the lemons before slicing them for their juice.
- Blueberries: Toss in flour before adding them to the batter to ensure they don’t sink to the bottom while baking. You can also use frozen blueberries.
Don’t Forget Your Glaze!
This glaze is super easy to make, and all you need is two ingredients. Plus, it’ll give your bread a little sweetness on the outside and make it shine. Trust us. You will not want to skip this step!
All you need is confectioners sugar and unsweetened almond milk. Then, just whisk them together and add the glaze once the lemon blueberry loaf has cooled down. And voilà! You have a gorgeous pastry that everyone will enjoy.
Some Additional Notes
If you want to make this loaf ahead of time, you can totally freeze it to keep it fresh. You can also substitute blueberries for raspberries for a completely different flavor profile and color. Strawberries will work too! Just make sure to store your loaf in an airtight container in the fridge if you’re not going to freeze it. It should last for about 3 to 4 days– if you don’t eat it all by then!
Lemon Blueberry Loaf
- 1 3/4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil melted
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1/2 cup almond milk unsweetened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- zest of 1 lemon zest before juicing
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice fresh squeezed
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon white wheat flour
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 tablespoon almond milk unsweetened
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In large bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda and salt until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the coconut oil, maple syrup and eggs vigorously for one minute.
- Add in the almond milk, vanilla extract, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Whisk for 30 more seconds.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients and whisk until combined.
- Place the blueberries in a bowl, and toss them with the tablespoon of flour. Then fold the blueberries into the batter.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into a center of the loaf comes out clean.
For the Glaze
- Whisk the confectioners sugar and almond milk until combined. Pour the glaze over the cooled loaf.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
If you enjoyed this lemon blueberry loaf, we think you might also like to try any of these similar recipes:
- Healthy Zucchini Bread
- Grain-Free Lemon Blueberry Lavender Muffins
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread
- Skinny Lemon Muffins