Detox and warm up with this nutritious soup.
When you’re looking for healthy lunch and dinner recipes, especially in the cold weather, turn to soup recipes. Many soup recipes are low in excess fat and calories and high in protein, with loads of veggies. They fill us up and they give us warmth, especially during chilly weather.
Because many of us tend to prioritize our hectic schedules, we tend to grab foods on the go, whether at takeout restaurants, or in the frozen or pre-packaged sections at the grocery store. After a few days or weeks of loading your diet with these types of processed and refined foods, your system may need a detox. This detox soup will cleanse your system, while still providing ample nutrition and energy. Lentils are rich in lean protein and iron, a great vegetarian source of both. Kale’s fiber, phytonutrient, and antioxidant count is off the charts. Combining them in this creamy soup with coconut milk and vegetable broth will result in a warming, delicious soup that comforts you, satisfies you, and rids your body of unwanted toxins.
Lentil and Kale Soup
- 1 onion medium, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 carrot medium, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 celery stalk coarsely chopped
- 1 cup kale chopped
- 1/2 cup lentils
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves torn in half
- 2 cups lite coconut milk canned
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup water to water it down
- Over medium-low heat, in a saucepan with extra-virgin olive oil, sautè the onions for 2 minutes then add the carrots and celery. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the kale and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add the lentils then toss them in the saucepan for 2 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth and the bay leaves. Let it boil then simmer on low heat for 20 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk then cook for another 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper then take away the bay leaves and discard them.
- With the use of an immersion blender, blend the soup until smooth and creamy.
- Cook for another 5 minutes. Adjust the consistency of the soup with the water.
- Ladle them to individual mugs then drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
More healthy soup recipes to check out:
We’d love to hear what you think. Leave us a comment in the comments section below.