A friend requested a recipe for barbecue chicken in the slow cooker. We decided to create a recipe that’s a touch on the hot side and has a hint of sweetness. It is the perfect way to fulfill your craving for a dish that might otherwise not be all that healthy. Our slow cooker spicy barbecued chicken contains healthy ingredients and is lower in sugar and saturated fat than other barbecues. This chicken recipe is simple and delicious. We love this dish and think it’s great for an average weekday dinner or a special occasion.
Barbecue is a classic American dish. Most consider it southern, but there are versions of barbecue in various parts of the country. It pairs well with a lot of different side dishes and is a favorite meal at picnics and outdoor gatherings. The next time you are hosting a family get together or party with friends, or you are asked to bring a dish to another person’s event, this spicy barbecue chicken is a great option.
In the mood for comfort food? Pick from these delicious 20 Skinny Comfort Food Recipes and 10 Skinny WeightWatchers Entrées – 5 Points or Less.
Yields: 4 | Serving size: 2 drumsticks | Calories: 365 | Total Fat: 14 g | Saturated Fats: 3 g | Trans Fats: 0 g | Cholesterol: 107 mg | Sodium: 140 mg | Carbohydrates: 28 g | Dietary fiber: 2 g | Sugars: 24 g | Protein: 32 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 12 |
- 8 drumsticks, skin removed (optional, 3 split breasts or 6 thighs)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 sweet onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar (use white balsamic vinegar for gluten free)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Red Hot Sauce, 'Frank's Red Hot' was used in this recipe
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- Sea Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chile pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Sea Salt to taste
- In a medium sauce pan add canola oil, turn to medium-low heat and saute onion and garlic until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining barbecue sauce ingredients, stir and simmer until sauce has thickened, about 30 minutes. While the sauce is cooking down, combine spice rub and coat all sides of drumsticks.
- After sauce has cooked down and thickened, place drumsticks in the slow cooker, pour barbecue sauce over and ensure all drumsticks are covered. Cover, turn to high and cook approximately 3 hours or until cooked through. Or, turn slow cooker to low and cook 5-6 hours.
If you enjoyed this spicy barbecued chicken, you may also like the Top 10 Slow Cooker Recipes on SkinnyMs.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out ourSkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.