Turkey neck. Crow’s feet. Sometimes we get so wrapped up in finding ways to look young that we forget about caring for our single most important body part: the brain. One of the easiest ways to boost the chance your brain will stay younger longer is by choosing noggin-nurturing foods. Read on to learn more about 9 Brain Foods to Keep You Young. All of the foods on our list are Superfoods. Learn more here!
Nurture That Noggin: 9 Brain Foods to Keep You Young:
1. Nuts: From walnuts to almonds, nuts are rich in vitamin E, which may lead to less decline in brain power as you age. Get this brain-preserving nutrient with Walnut Crusted Chicken Breasts.
2. Berries: Lower your brain’s age with these antioxidant-powered superfoods. Several studies support berries’ brain-boosting power. In one large study, women who ate berries frequently showed slower decline in memory and attention than those who didn’t eat them as often . Boost your brain tomorrow morning with Whole-Grain Banana Blueberry Pancakes.
3. Lentils: B is for brain—and lentils contain plenty of B vitamins, which are known to help brain function. These foods are powerhouses that deliver vitamin B6, folate, riboflavin, and thiamine. Keep your brain young and enjoy an easy dinner with Skinny Slow Cooker Lentil & Veggie Stew.
4. Olive Oil: This Mediterranean staple is a super source of monounsaturated (good) fat. In one study, women over age 65 who ate higher levels of this good fat had brains that measured 6-7 years younger than those who had it less frequently .
5. Avocados: Like olive oil, these fruits are chock-full of monounsaturated fats, which improve blood flow to the entire body, including the brain. Indulge in Strawberry and Avocado Salad with Strawberry Balsamic Dressing.
6. Eggs: Yolks contain a substance called choline, which plays a role in the development of a chemical messenger that’s linked to memory. Try Crustless Vegetable Quiche for breakfast, brunch, or dinner and get your daily dose of brain food.
7. Wild Salmon: Get wild with this omega-3 rich superfood. This good fatty acid contains anti-inflammatories that may lower the risk of brain problems, such as stroke or Alzheimer’s disease. Why wild salmon? It doesn’t have the antibiotics and color enhancers found in its farm-raised counterpart. Try this superfood in Honey-Dijon Glazed Salmon with a Hint of Lemon.
8. Tea: You can drink this brain superfood. Fresh-brewed (not bottled) tea has antioxidants called catechins, which promote healthy blood flow to the brain. And don’t be afraid to indulge—it takes about 2-3 cups per day to get the maximum benefit. Not normally a tea drinker? Give it a go in this Green Tea Mango Smoothie.
9. Dark Chocolate: Chocolate lovers, rejoice! Your decadent favorite delivers antioxidants and caffeine that enhance focus and concentration. Reach for one-half to one ounce per day—no more! Get your delicious fix with these Almond Butter Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies.
You’ve only got one brain—so keep it younger longer by eating noggin-nourishing brain foods.