Enjoy all the traditional flavors of stuffed cabbage with our One Pot “Stuffed” Cabbage Stew! Cabbage, ground turkey, and vegetables are swimming in a flavorful tomato broth with brown rice and herbs in this hearty stew. The best part is that it’s all prepared in one pot for a no-muss, no-fuss meal. Plus, the health benefits of added vitamins, fiber, and nutrients in this cabbage stew are out of this world!
This stew is perfect for chilly nights when you don’t have a lot of cook time and don’t want a huge mess in the kitchen. Serve it with a nice slice of crusty wheat bread for a filling meal.
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup | Calories: 217 | Total Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 56mg | Sodium: 750mg | Carbohydrates: 21g | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 13g | Protein: 20g | SmartPoints: 7
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 small yellow onion, diced small
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup carrot, peeled and diced small
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can no sugar added diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup no sugar added tomato paste
- 1/2 brown rice, uncooked and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel seed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 cups green cabbage, chopped large
In a large soup pot, cook ground turkey over medium heat breaking up into medium sized chunks. When meat is about halfway cooked, add onion, garlic, and carrot. Continue to cook until meat is cooked through and onions are soft.
Add remaining ingredients to the meat mixture, except the cabbage. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently, then reduce to a simmer. Add the cabbage and continue to simmer for 30 minutes until cabbage is wilted. Ladle into bowls, serve, and enjoy!
Crazy about cabbage? Here are some other recipes to try:
What are your favorite cabbage recipes? Share with us in the comments section!