Prickly pears take the limelight in this simple salad that’s perfect when summer’s heat soaks our kitchens! Refreshing, colorful and just delicious, this egg-shaped fruit that come in three different vibrant colors of green, orange and red can make any plate look gorgeous. The ingredient list may be short, but you’ll enjoy every bite in this salad. Not familiar with prickly pears, also know as cactus fruit? Check out the video below for more information.
Prickly Pear Video
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 1/3 cup | Calories: 54 | Total Fat: 1 g | Saturated Fat: 0 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 5 mg | Carbohydrates: 11 g | Dietary Fiber: 4 g | Sugars: 2 g | Protein: 1 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 2
- 4 prickly pears
- 1/2 cup pomegranate juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly squeezed lime juice (optional lemon juice)
- Fresh mint leaves
- Peel and slice the prickly pears. Place them in a bowl.
- In a small saucepan mix the pomegranate juice, honey, and lime juice. Cook over medium-low heat until reduced to a syrup. Allow to cook then pour over the prickly pears. Leave for 15 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Transfer the prickly pears to a serving plate. Garnish with the fresh mint.
If you liked this dish, then you might like these other recipes too:
Don’t miss out on the latest from SkinnyMs. Make sure you subscribe to our newsletter.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.