Sweet and caramelized, this veggie dish is anything but boring
This simple roasted cauliflower side dish, enhanced with red bell peppers strips and olives, is delicious. Roasting the cauliflower brings out the flavor of the vegetable, and roasting the red peppers caramelizes them and gives them a sweeter taste. And don’t worry if the peppers are a little charred. Once the dish is cooked, the olives add a punch of flavor, making this vegetable side dish anything but boring.
No added dairy is necessary, because cooking the cauliflower at high temperatures gives it an almost cheesy flavor. Cauliflower is an excellent source of iron, and is low in carbohydrates. Deploying a generous amount of olive oil and olives adds some fat to the recipe, but it is the heart-healthy and monounsaturated, and therefore easy for the body to metabolize.
Roasted Cauliflower with Red Peppers and Olives makes the perfect winter side dish for a seafood entrée, such as this Blackened Sockeye Salmon.
Roasted Cauliflower and Red Peppers with Olives
- 1 head cauliflower florets
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice freshly squeezed, about 1/2 lemon squeezed
- 1 cup green olives without pits preferred or black
- 1 red bell pepper stemmed, seeded, and cut into thin strips OR 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- black pepper freshly ground
- 1/4 cup parsley chopped, optional
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Remove the florets from the head of cauliflower. Toss the cauliflower and red pepper strips or halved cherry tomatoes, mushrooms with the salt, pepper, lemon juice, and olive oil.
- Spread in an even layer on a rimmed baking sheet, and cook for 20 to 25 minutes, until the cauliflower has browned slightly. Remove from the oven and stir in the olives and capers. Stir in chopped parsley if desired before serving.
- Serve over a bed of Spring Mix.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from Skinny Ms., check out our Skinny Ms. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite Skinny Ms. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.