This simple roasted cauliflower side dish, enhanced with red bell peppers strips and olives, is delicious. Roasting the cauliflower brings out the flavor of the vegetable, and roasting the red peppers caramelizes them and gives them a sweeter taste. And don’t worry if the peppers are a little charred. Once the dish is cooked, the olives add a punch of flavor, making this vegetable side dish anything but boring.
No added dairy is necessary, because cooking the cauliflower at high temperatures gives it an almost cheesy flavor. Cauliflower is an excellent source of iron, and is low in carbohydrates. Deploying a generous amount of olive oil and olives adds some fat to the recipe, but it is the heart-healthy and monounsaturated, and therefore easy for the body to metabolize.
Roasted Cauliflower with Red Peppers and Olives makes the perfect winter side dish for a seafood entrée, such as this Blackened Sockeye Salmon.
Servings: 4 | Serving Size: 1 cup | Calories: 148 | Total Fat: 11 g | Saturated Fats: 2 g | Trans Fats: 0 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 305 mg | Carbohydrates: 12 g | Dietary Fiber: 5 g | Sugars: 4 g | Protein: 2 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 5
- 1 head cauliflower, florets
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 1/2 lemon squeezed)
- 1 cup green or black olives (without pits preferred)
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and cut into thin strips OR 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley, optional
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Remove the florets from the head of cauliflower. Toss the cauliflower and red pepper strips or halved cherry tomatoes, mushrooms with the salt, pepper, lemon juice, and olive oil.
- Spread in an even layer on a rimmed baking sheet, and cook for 25 to 20 minutes, until the cauliflower has browned slightly. Remove from the oven and stir in the olives and capers. Stir in chopped parsley if desired before serving.
- Serve over a bed of Spring Mix.
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from SkinnyMs.
Be sure to subscribe to our newsletter. Also, like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.