This sweet and simple meal is delicious and super satisfying.
Try this chicken sausage sweet potato sheet pan bake for dinner tonight. The sweet potatoes are first treated with a mildly spicy rub and roasted in the oven. During the final ten minutes of the tray bake, add the chicken apple sausage and drizzle the tray with maple syrup. Sweet and spicy flavors intermix perfectly in this family-oriented entree.
Chicken Sausage is the Best Choice For Tray Bakes
Honestly, all chicken sausage varieties taste amazing. From the sweet versions with apple or mango to the savory ones full of peppers or cheese, they all work. Typically, chicken sausage weighs in with half the calories and one-third of the fat found in pork sausage. Another key point worth mentioning is that chicken sausage has a much lower sodium content. For that reason alone, switching from pork to chicken is a heart-healthy choice.
Sweet Potatoes Are a Starch Worth Fighting For
Carbohydrates are often looked at as the “enemy” of weight loss. However, our bodies need them! Sweet potatoes are full of insoluble fiber and antioxidants. Both of these elements bestow good bacteria for a healthy gut.
One tip in picking sweet potatoes is to choose the lighter and leaner ones in the bin. Not only are they easier to process, they are actually more flavorful. Even though the fat and round potatoes look more appealing, the truth is you’ll get more nutrients in a smaller product. If you look closely at the size difference, you’ll notice that smaller sweet potatoes are also richer in color. Just make sure you don’t overcrowd the pieces in your pan. You want to make sure each bite has room for an even cook.
People who aren’t accustomed to spicy-ish food may want to cut the amount of recommended seasoning in half or just opt for salt and pepper. Sage, rosemary, and thyme make for a brilliant alternative spice rub in this dish. Check the recipe notes for suggested quantities.
Sheet-Pan Sweet Potatoes Are Cold Weather Heroes
A great time to turn up the temperature in your oven is when it’s cold outside. Not only do you get a tastier meal quicker, but you also invariably warm up your home. That’s a total win for thin-blooded types and a win for the kinds of meals you can make. High heat cooks compact starches like potatoes much quicker than low heat. Baking at a high temperature also caramelizes the natural sugars in sweet potatoes, deepening their flavor.
While all this baking is going on, you can turn your attention to adding a green of your choice. You can easily roast asparagus, broccoli, or Brussels sprouts on another rack in the oven. Or you could time a bed of wilted greens of your choice to get mixed in when the tray has baked. Alternatively, a fresh green salad will provide a crunchy texture missing from the soft, melty potatoes and sausage. Coleslaw is another excellent choice and will balance the heat of the recommended spices.
Enjoy this cold weather method and stay warm!
Sheet-Pan Chicken Sausage and Sweet Potatoes
- 6 sweet potatoes small and skinny
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pound chicken apple sausage cut into slices
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Peel and cube the sweet potatoes into ½-inch pieces.
- In a large Tupperware container or gallon-sized ziplock bag, add the olive oil, salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, paprika, and garlic powder. Add cubed sweet potatoes and shake until evenly coated.
- Spread sweet potatoes in an even layer on the sheet pan, paying attention so they don't overlap. Cook for fifteen minutes, then pull out the pan and rearrange sweet potatoes so they will cook evenly.
- After 20 minutes, combine the chicken apple sausage and maple syrup and mix in with the sweet potatoes on the baking sheet. Bake for 10-15 minutes until sausage is browned and lightly caramelized.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Did you make this chicken sausage sweet potato sheet pan recipe? If so, be sure to let us know what you thought of it in the comment section below!
Want more sheet pan meals? Give these a try next:
- Chicken and Brussels Sprouts Tray Bake
- Citrus Salmon Tray Bake
- Harvest Tray Bake
- Sheet Pan Chicken Meatballs and Broccoli
- Sheet Pan Steak Fajitas
Get the latest recipes, meal plans, workouts, and more delivered right to your inbox. Sign up for our eNewsletter today!