Your favorite taco flavors in an easy-to-prepare casserole!
Need an easy to prepare dinner that the entire family will enjoy? Look no further because you’ve found it! This Mexican-inspired, skinny chicken taco casserole is stacked with healthy, protein-rich ingredients that even the kids will love. It offers all of the classic flavors you crave in a simple to serve casserole. And the leftovers taste pretty amazing too– in the unlikely chance that you end up with any!
For the Love of Casseroles
Growing up, my mom’s go-to dinners were almost always based around some sort of casserole. Since then, I’ve always been inspired to put my favorite dishes and flavors together to create unique and delicious casseroles just like this one! We’ve created amazing Mexican flavors using healthy ingredients and simple taco spices (and you can even make our very own Enchilada Sauce) in this stacked casserole.
The Skinny On This Dish
We’ve swapped out some of the traditional, higher fat ingredients in this recipe for some low-fat ones. This includes choosing shredded chicken over any ground beef, as well as low-fat cheese and black beans (no refried beans in here!) We’ve also used fiber-rich whole wheat tortillas and colorful veggies to fill out this recipe. This recipe also uses enchildada sauce, which you can buy at the store, or you can make your own with our Skinny Ms. Enchilada Sauce!
High Protein Ingredients
This casserole provides almost 30 grams of protein per serving, thanks to all of its protein-rich ingredients. Between all that fantastic, muscle-building protein, the fiber boost from the whole grains and beans, and even the many nutrients found in the veggies, this casserole is just so healthy– and filling! You can even add some more veggies and protein to your plate and serve this casserole with some delicious sides, such as our Creamy Coleslaw or Southwest Cucumber and Avocado Salad.
How to Create this Skinny Chicken Taco Casserole
First, preheat your oven to 375 degrees and grease a 9×13 baking dish. I just use a little spray of olive oil baking spray. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Once warm, add the garlic and saute for 1 minute before adding the onion and bell pepper pieces. Cook for about 5 minutes or until soft. Finish by adding in the black beans and taco seasoning, and tossing them until warm. Once the mixture is well combined, you can remove the skillet from the heat.
In the baking dish, begin your stack by laying 2 whole wheat tortillas on the bottom, trying to cover as much of the dish as you can. Spread half of the bean mixture, chicken, and cheese over top. Then, put down another layer of whole wheat tortillas and repeat the stack. Cover the casserole dish with foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 5 minutes, or until the cheese on top is golden and gooey! Let the casserole cool a bit before cutting into it.
Skinny Chicken Taco Casserole
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 15 ounces black beans canned, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 4 whole wheat tortillas 8"
- 2 cups cooked chicken shredded
- 2 cups low fat Mexican blend cheese
- 1 cup enchilada sauce store bought, or make your own with our Skinny Ms. Enchilada Sauce linked above!
- 1/4 cup green onion chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease a 9×13 baking dish.
- In a skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add garlic for 1 minute, then add onion and bell peppers. Cook for about 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add black beans and taco seasoning and toss to warm. Remove from heat.
- Lay 2 tortillas on the bottom of the greased baking dish. Spread half of the bean mixture, chicken, enchilada sauce, and cheese over top.
- Start another layer of tortillas and repeat the layering, finishing with a nice thick layer of shredded cheese.
- Cover and bake for 15 minutes, then remove the covering and bake for another 5 minutes or until the cheese is nice and golden.
- Let cool and top with chopped green onion.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
If you try our skinny chicken taco casserole and love it, we think you might also enjoy these tasty taco-ish recipes:
- Slow Cooker Taco Soup
- Southwestern Black Bean Casserole
- Skinny Taco Bowl Recipe
- Southwestern Protein Breakfast Burrito
- Skinny Buffalo Chicken Tacos
Don’t forget to join our online community! Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest, or subscribe to our eNewsletter.
Thanks Susan! ?
Delicious!! My whole family loved it and had seconds! Will definitely be a go-to recipe in our family! Thank you!
Katrina, I’m so happy you and your family enjoyed our Taco Casserole recipe! 🙂
Do you know if you can freeze.
Hi there! Yes, most casserole recipes can be frozen– including this one! You will want to let it cool completely and then store it in an airtight container. You can either wrap a casserole dish in plastic wrap and then a layer of foil, before sliding it in a freezer bag or store individual servings in airtight Ziploc bags. It will last for up to 3 months in the freezer, but fresher is always better! Hope that helps!
My daughter ended up making this tonight for us. It was easy and delicious! Will make again!