These Slow Cooker Protein Chicken Tacos will satisfy your whole family! We’ve combined chicken breasts with salsa, spices, corn, and black beans in a slow cooker to create a hearty and healthy taco filling. Top them with tomatoes, lettuce, avocado, low-fat cheese, plus a dollop of Greek yogurt instead of sour cream.
Protein and nutrients take center stage in these slow cooker chicken tacos, plus you can customize them with other toppings! You can even use corn tortillas to make them gluten free or just serve the filling over brown rice for a taco bowl.
Yields: 8 servings | Calories: 382 | Total Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 57mg | Sodium: 1237mg | Carbohydrates: 44g | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 7g | Protein: 26g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 11
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- 3 cups no sugar added salsa
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 cup corn kernels
- 1/2 cup black beans
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 8 whole wheat flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded Romaine lettuce
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 cup low fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup diced avocado
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- In slow cooker, add chicken, salsa, cumin, chili powder, corn, black beans, and broth. Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours. Remove tender chicken from slow cooker and shred with a fork. Return to slow cooker and cook for another 30 minutes on low or 15 minutes on high.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons of shredded chicken into each tortilla. Top with lettuce, tomato, cheese, avocado, and yogurt. Serve and enjoy!
- OPTIONAL: Substitute corn tortillas for flour, making the taco gluten free! Jalapenos, onion, guacamole, or any of your favorite taco toppings can be added or substituted.
What are some of your go-to slow cooker family meals? We’d love for you to share your ideas with us in the comments!