Protein and nutrients take center stage in these slow cooker chicken tacos!
These Slow Cooker Protein Chicken Tacos will satisfy your whole family! We’ve combined chicken breasts with salsa, spices, corn, and black beans in a slow cooker to create a hearty and healthy taco filling. Top them with tomatoes, lettuce, avocado, low-fat cheese, plus a dollop of Greek yogurt instead of sour cream.
Protein and nutrients take center stage in these slow cooker chicken tacos, plus you can customize them with other toppings! You can even use corn tortillas to make them gluten-free or just serve the filling over brown rice for a taco bowl.
Slow Cooker Protein Chicken Tacos
- 1 pound boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- 3 cups salsa no sugar added
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 cup corn kernels
- 1/2 cup black beans
- 1/2 cup chicken broth low-sodium
- 8 whole-wheat flour tortillas
- 1 cup romaine lettuce shredded
- 1 tomato large, diced
- 1 cup cheddar cheese low-fat, shredded
- 1/4 cup avocado diced
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt plain
- In slow cooker, add chicken, salsa, cumin, chili powder, corn, black beans, and broth. Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours. Remove tender chicken from slow cooker and shred with a fork. Return to slow cooker and cook for another 30 minutes on low or 15 minutes on high.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons of shredded chicken into each tortilla. Top with lettuce, tomato, cheese, avocado, and yogurt. Serve and enjoy!
- OPTIONAL: Substitute corn tortillas for flour, making the taco gluten-free! Jalapenos, onion, guacamole, or any of your favorite taco toppings can be added or substituted.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
What are some of your go-to slow cooker family meals? We’d love for you to share your ideas with us in the comments!
Absolutely delicious. I would probably add a little more chicken next time. The flavors were fantastic and it was so nice and easy. I did find that I only cooked the chicken for 3 hours at high and then warmed it and it worked out great.