Mix up your menu with Chicken Adobo!
Adobo is cooked mainly with soy sauce, garlic, and an acidic ingredient to add a bit of tang to the dish. In this recipe, we used fresh lemons to give a boost of vitamin C. Browning the chicken and garlic in a saucepan before putting all of the ingredients together in the slow cooker gives a much better flavor. If you like tasty, soy-based chicken and rice dishes, then this Asian dish is perfect for your palate.
Slow Cooker Adobo Chicken and Rice
- 4 chicken thighs optional chicken breasts (remove skin before serving)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 cups long-grain brown rice uncooked
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons soy sauce lite, divided (optional tamari)
- 1/3 cup lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 tomatoes medium, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chives finely chopped, for garnish (optional)
- Over medium-high heat, in a medium saucepan with the olive oil, brown both sides of the chicken. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of the soy sauce on the chicken while doing so. Transfer the chicken to the slow cooker.
- Add the garlic, rice, water, and remaining soy sauce, lemon, and pepper. Make sure that the rice is under the water. Cover, and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours or high 2 to 3 hours. The dish is ready when the chicken is done and the rice tender. The chicken should reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Be sure to discard the skin before serving. Add chopped tomatoes before removing from the slow cooker.
- On a serving plate, place the chicken and rice together. Garnish with the chives if using.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
If you love slow cooker recipes, you will love our other amazing recipes:
Do you have a favorite Skinny Ms. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.