Looking for healthy slow cooker recipes for yummy enchiladas? We’ve got you covered. We’ve taken one of our fan-favorite healthy enchilada recipes and beefed it up for meat lovers, but it’s still made with clean ingredients.
We’ve used ground beef, but ground turkey is also a fine substitute in this recipe. As listed in the ingredients, store bought or homemade whole grain tortillas are preferred to corn, as corn tortillas tend to fall apart in the slow cooker.
The whole enchiladas get smothered in a creamy yogurt enchilada sauce mix and sprinkled with light cheese. Mmm… This is hearty dinner that is sure to please!
Looking for side dish ideas? Beefed-Up Enchiladas would taste great with TexMex Rice and Beans, Quinoa and Black Beans, or with a simple Mexican-style side of sliced radishes sprinkled with a squeeze of lime. A nice scoop of creamy nonfat refried beans would be a satisfying side, adding more protein and fiber to the meal. Enchiladas can also be topped with a little Guacamole Verde just before serving, if desired.
Yields: 6 servings | Serving size: 1 enchilada | Calories: 453 | Total Fat: 21 g | Saturated Fats: 10 g | Trans Fats: 0 g | Cholesterol: 81 mg | Sodium: 870 mg | Carbohydrates: 35 g | Dietary fiber: 4 g | Sugars: 9 g | Protein: 29 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 15
- 1 pound lean ground beef (optional, ground turkey)
- 1 (16 oz.) red enchilada sauce (no sugar added), (optional, salsa) Recipe for Quick & Easy Enchilada Sauce
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chile peppers
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, reduced fat
- 1 (8 oz.) container sour cream, reduced fat (optional, Greek yogurt)
- 6 medium whole wheat tortillas, low-sodium if possible (corn tortillas are not recommended as they tend to fall apart)
- In a large skillet, cook ground beef over medium heat, breaking up while cooking. Cook beef until pink color is gone, drain off any fat. .
- In a medium mixing bowl, add cooked ground meat, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, black pepper and salt to taste. Add to seasoned meat, green chile peppers, 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce, 1/2 cup sour cream and 1 cup cheese, mix well.
- Place 1/2 cup beef mixture in the center of each tortilla, leave about 2” at the bottom without filling and fold up the tortilla. Continue until all tortillas are filled.
- Lightly spray the bottom and sides of the slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Lay enchiladas seam side down in the slow cooker, add a little of the sauce to each layer as you stack them. There should be 2 layers of 3 or 3 layers of 2, depending on the size of your slow cooker.
- Combine the remaining enchilada sauce and 1/2 cup sour cream. Pour over the enchiladas, cover and cook on low 3-4 hours, or until hot and bubbly. Cut between each enchilada and carefully remove, one at a time, with a large spatula. Pour liquid from slow cooker over enchiladas and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Garnish with diced tomatoes and shredded lettuce.
- Oven Method: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large casserole dish, place stuffed enchiladas seam side down in a single layer. Combine the remaining enchilada sauce and 1/2 cup sour cream, spread over enchiladas. Sprinkle remaining cheese over enchiladas, cover loosely with foil and bake until hot and bubbly, approximately 30 minutes. Remove from oven and, if desired, garnish with diced tomatoes and shredded lettuce.
Click here for the Top 10 Slow Cooker Recipes on SkinnyMs.
RECIPE SIGNUP: If you’re interested in receiving our newest and best Slow Cooker recipes via email, signup here: eNewsletter Signup.