Throw the take-out menu away because this recipe is here to stay!
Ready for a simple slow cooker recipe that will satisfy your cravings for takeout in a healthier way? Of course you are– who wouldn’t be?! Start this slow cooker chicken fried rice ahead of time to serve up for an easy, nutrient packed dinner (or side)! As far as slow cooker recipes go, it cooks ultra fast!
Slow Cooker Recipes for Stress-Free Evenings
Slow cooker recipes are simply the best way to get quick dinners and avoid those end-of-the-day thoughts of getting take out. Don’t rely on Uber eats tonight! Instead, you can have a simply delicious chicken fried rice ready to go when you get home. And, not only will it make your evening more relaxing, but cooking at home is also a great way to save money and stay healthy.
Our Favorite Restaurant Subs
Here at Skinny Ms., we love a good restaurant swap to satisfy your cravings and keep you on track towards your health goals. Simple flavors like soy sauce, sesame seeds, and green onion spice up this recipe and make it taste even fresher and lighter than the original restaurant version. And with all of it’s high protein, high fiber, and low fat ingredients, this recipe takes the cake when it comes to making a healthy choice.
High-Protein Fried Rice
This Asian fried rice recipe is packed with healthy, high protein ingredients like lean chicken breast and nutrient-rich eggs. Not only are these ingredients high in protein, but they are lean proteins, as well, meaning that they are low in disease-associated saturated fat. Between those high protein components and the fiber-and-nutrient rich veggies and brown rice, you’ve got yourself a healthy meal all in one plate!
“Fry” Up this Slow Cooker Chicken Fried Rice
Start by heating the sesame oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot, add the chicken to the pan and sauté until it’s cooked through, about 8 to 10 minutes. Once ready, remove the chicken and place it in the slow cooker. In the same pan, sauté the onion until translucent, about 5 minutes. Combine the chicken and onion with rice, pepper, and vegetables in the slow cooker. Add the remaining sesame oil to the ingredients, as well.
Heat the chicken and rice mixture on low for 1 hour or high for 30 minutes. In the meantime, scramble the egg and toss it in just before serving. Sprinkle on the sesame seeds and green onion once plated, and enjoy!
Slow Cooker Chicken Fried Rice
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 12 ounces chicken breast or thighs boneless, skinless, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce more or less to taste
- 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 cup frozen stir-fry vegetable mix
- 1 egg large
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 2 stalks green onion chopped
- Heat sesame oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Add chicken to the pan and sauté until cooked through, 8-10 minutes.
- Remove chicken and place in the slow cooker. In the same pan, sauté onion until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Combine chicken and onion with rice, pepper, and vegetables. Scrap pan and add remaining sesame oil to the ingredients.
- Heat on low for for 1 hour or high for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, scramble the egg and toss in just before serving. Spinkle on the sesame seeds and green onion before serving.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Afraid you’ll miss out on our latest and greatest in healthy eating recipes, weekly meal plans, and workout challenges? Join us on Facebook and Pinterest, or subscribe to our eNewsletter.