This deliciously simple slow cooker recipe is a perfect family meal for any night of the week. Our Chicken Pot Roast combines everything you love about pot roasts with roasted chicken. The whole family will love this dish. The chicken is moist and flavorful and the vegetables are seasoned and cooked to the perfect consistency. One bite and you’ll be hooked!
This beautifully browned chicken was cooked in a Set n’ Forget Slow Cooker. We love this slow cooker because you simply add the chicken, put the probe in the fatty part of the thigh and set the probe to 165 degrees. The chicken cooks to the set temperature and switches to warm when done.
Servings: 6 | Serving size: 1/6 of recipe | Calories: 178 | Total Fat: 8 g | Saturated Fats: 2 g | Trans Fats: 0 g | Cholesterol: 31 mg | Sodium: 104 mg | Carbohydrates: 15 g | Dietary fiber: 3 g | Sugars: 2 g | Protein: 10 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 2 |
- 1 large roasting chicken
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 2 stalks celery
- 1/4 cup water (optional)
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into 1" cubes (optional, substitute with sweet potatoes for a Paleo-friendly recipe)
- Rinse and pat dry chicken. Rub the outside of chicken with olive oil. Combine spices and rub on the outside of the chicken. Place minced garlic in the cavity along with a little more salt and pepper. Add water to the slow cooker, next the celery and the chicken on top, breast side up. The celery prevents the chicken from browning too much on the bottom.
- Add carrots and potatoes around chicken. Cover and cook on low 6 hours or until chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165-170 degrees and veggies are tender. Use a meat thermometer to check for doneness or pierce with a fork, to make sure the juices run clear.
- For extra browning, carefully remove chicken from the slow cooker, place in a large roasting pan and broil until desired color has been reached. Garnish chicken with fresh thyme, if desired.
- Note: Adding water is not necessary, but I like to add 1/4 cup for additional moisture.
- Tip: Cook with skin for additional moisture. Be sure to remove and discard before serving.
- The Cuisinart Slow-Cooker for Browning is another great option for this recipe.
RECIPE SIGNUP: If you’re interested in receiving our newest and best Slow Cooker recipes via email, signup here: eNewsletter Signup.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.