Skip the rotisserie section and make this Chicken Pot Roast at home. Warm paprika, seasonal thyme, lots of freshly ground black pepper – have I got your attention yet? This slow cooker recipe is perfect to make for a big family meal on a Sunday night.
This recipe combines everything you love about pot roasts with roasted chicken. Skip the rotisserie section and make this Chicken Pot Roast at home. Warm paprika, seasonal thyme, and also lots of freshly ground black pepper – have I got your attention yet? This slow cooker recipe is perfect to make for a big family meal on a Sunday night. Enjoy eating slowly together and shred up the chicken for tacos, pastas, and great sandwiches all week long. One bite and it will hook you!
A Leaner Pot Roast
I know we all think of “pot roast” as a beef dish. Actually, the term “pot roast” simply means a piece of meat that is cooked slowly in a covered pot. This Chicken Pot Roast is not only leaner, it’s also easier to achieve a reliable moist and flavorful meat. This beautifully browned chicken was cooked in a Set n’ Forget Slow Cooker. We love this slow cooker because you simply add the chicken, put the probe in the fatty part of the thigh and set the probe to 165 degrees. The chicken cooks to the set temperature and switches to warm when done. This deliciously simple slow cooker recipe, with it’s potatoes and root vegetables, is actually a perfectly balanced family meal for any night of the week!
Want To Add More Vegetables?
That can never be a bad thing… We think baby carrots and potatoes work excellently but you could also include celery, whole onions, turnips, and even cremini mushrooms.
Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Roast
- 1 chicken large, roasted
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 2 celery stalks
- 1/4 cup water optional
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 2 potatoes medium, cut into 1-inch cubes
- Rinse and pat dry chicken. Rub the outside of chicken with olive oil. Combine spices and rub on the outside of the chicken. Place minced garlic in the cavity along with a little more salt and pepper. Add water to the slow cooker, next the celery and the chicken on top, breast side up. The celery prevents the chicken from browning too much on the bottom.
- Add carrots and potatoes around chicken. Cover and cook on low 6 hours or until chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165-170 degrees and veggies are tender. Use a meat thermometer to check for doneness or pierce with a fork, to make sure the juices run clear.
- For extra browning, carefully remove chicken from the slow cooker, place in a large roasting pan and broil until desired color has been reached. Garnish chicken with fresh thyme, if desired.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
RECIPE SIGNUP: If you’re interested in receiving our newest and best Slow Cooker recipes via email, signup here: daily eNewsletter
Be sure to like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources. Do you have a favorite Skinny Ms. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.