Old-fashioned minestrone made easy.
Making home-cooked meals has never been so easy and effortless. With a slow cooker, just combine all of your ingredients, and it will do all the work for you. It doesn’t create mess on the stovetop, nor are you obliged to keep on checking every few minutes. In a saucepan, an Italian minestrone takes almost an hour of simmering that must be minded at all times. Using the slow cooker, you can just sit and relax while your meal is prepared.
A minestrone is an Italian soup made with a variety of diced vegetables in a clear broth. It sometimes has rice or pasta mixed in. The vegetables vary depending on the season, so toss in any veggies you find that are fresh at your grocery. Cooking it with a Parmigiano Reggiano cheese rind is common practice to give it more flavor. Never throw away those Parmesan rinds!
Slow Cooker Minestrone
- 1 onion small, diced
- 1 celery stalk diced
- 2 carrots peeled and sliced
- 1 zucchini sliced
- 1 large potato peeled and cubed
- 2 cups green beans fresh or frozen
- 1 cup peas fresh or frozen
- 2 cups kale coarsely chopped or other green leafy vegetable like spinach or chard
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water (add 1 additional cup for a thinner minestrone)
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes can, with liquid
- 15 ounces kidney beans can, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup vegetable juice or tomato juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 basil leaves fresh, diced
- 1/2 cup parmigiano reggiano or parmesan
- Add all ingredients to a slow cooker, except kale, basil, and parmesan. Cover and cook on low 5 to 6 hours or high 3 to 4 hours.
- When the minestrone is cooked, add kale. Place lid back on slow cooker and allow the kale to wilt, approximately 5 minutes.
- When ready to serve the minestrone, drizzle a little extra-virgin olive oil over the top of individual bowls. Sprinkle with fresh basil and Parmigiano Reggiano or Parmesan.
- Optional: Add 1 cup whole wheat penne pasta 30 minutes before the end of cooking.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
If you liked this soup, we have a lot more delicious and healthy Slow Cooker soup recipes to share with you:
Don’t miss out on the latest from Skinny Ms. Make sure you subscribe to our newsletter.
Do you have a favorite Skinny Ms. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.