If you’re looking for delicious, subtle taste in a chicken dish, try this earthy, hearty stew. Precooking the chicken in a saucepan enhances the flavors before combining the ingredients in the slow cooker. Squash, a treasure chest of nutrients, plus sage, an herb that helps to enhance cognitive performance, are great partners. And don’t forget the lean protein in chicken. Enjoy a clean eating slow cooker dish with your family!
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 2 cups | Calories: 297 | Total Fat: 12 g | Saturated Fat: 2 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 69 mg | Sodium: 245 mg | Carbohydrates: 21 g | Dietary Fiber: 4 g | Sugars: 5 g | Protein: 27 g | SmartPoints: 8
- 15 ounces (boneless and skinless) chicken breasts, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- Flour, for coating
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 14 ounces squash, diced
- 3 fresh sage leaves, chopped or torn
- Coat the chicken with flour and shake off the excess. Over medium heat, in a saucepan with extra virgin olive oil, brown the chicken then season with salt and pepper. Do not overcrowd. Cook in batches if needed. Pour 1 cup chicken broth in the saucepan and cook until the sauce thickens.
- Transfer the contents of the saucepan to the slow cooker. Add a little bit more extra virgin olive oil in the saucepan then sautè the onions over low - medium heat for about 5 minutes. Transfer the onions to the slow cooker. Add the squash, remaining chicken broth, and sage in the slow cooker. Set on low for 4 hours.
SkinnyMs. Has Lots of Slow Cooker Recipes to Choose From:
We constantly update SkinnyMs. Subscribe to our newsletter so you don’t miss anything.
It is always a pleasure to hear from our readers. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.