Most days, you don’t want to dirty a bunch of pots and pans just to make a meal. Luckily, our Slow Cooker Italian Chicken and Sweet Potatoes recipe is a one-pot meal for such days. The whole meal is prepared in the slow cooker and allowed to simmer for those amazing flavors to really soak in. Olive oil, lemon juice, herbs, and spices give it a great Italian flavor, and the mushrooms and sweet potatoes make it a hearty meal.
Serve the chicken breasts over a spoonful of the mushrooms and sweet potatoes. This is a whole meal in and of itself, but you can also make a batch of our Cheesy Garlic Cauliflower Bread Sticks to accompany it.
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups | Calories: 364 | Total Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 62mg | Sodium: 700mg | Carbohydrates: 33g | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 8g | Protein: 24g | SmartPoints: 10
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, (optional, 2 pounds of dark meat or a combination)
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, halved
- 2 cups diced sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Place the chicken in middle of the slow cooker, then put the sweet potatoes on one side and the mushrooms on the other. In another bowl, whisk the remaining ingredients together, then pour over the ingredients in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook for 4 to 6 hours on low or 3 to 4 hours on high.
Adapted from The Magical Slow Cooker.
You might like these other recipes:
What are meals you make entirely in the slow cooker? Let us know in the comments section below!